1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Hi

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by Piper's Mom, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Piper's Mom

Piper's Mom New Member

Hello, everyone! I'm new to your board, but like what I see. I had (3) APBT's while growing up and think they are WONDERFUL. I now have my own 10 week old white / brindle little girl named Piper. I brought her home when she was 4 1/2 weeks old, which I am beginning to believe was a mistake. She has been wonderful up to now, but is getting out of hand with her nipping / biting. She is bringing blood and puncturing our skin with no effort. She is very playful / happy and doesn't mean to hurt, but as I have been reading, this is probably due to the fact that her mom wasn't around to teach her differently. We can't go back ... so what do you suggest I do now? Whenever she bites, I take her face in my hands and tell her very sternly, "no bite!". Sometimes she cowls down, but other times she freaks out and wants to come back at me very aggressively. I have been holding her down until she gives up. This wasn't a big deal when she weighed 5-6 pounds, but now she's a little over 13 pounds and very strong. I do not want to send the wrong message to her ... I want her to grow up to be a well behaved little lady that is an every day part of my family. I know puppies are full of energy and a lot of work - that isn't the problem. The biting is a problem - I'm wondering if what we are experiencing is above "normal"? I have her signed up for puppy class in two weeks and have been taking her to Puppy Social Hour at Petsmart once a week. She is not aggressive toward other dogs. She only bites us and I truly believe it's in a playful manner. Am I too late?

2. nern

nern New Member

3. honeybears

honeybears New Member

.Hi and welcome

"I brought her home when she was 4 1/2 weeks old, which I am beginning to believe was a mistake"

I hope this was an unusual circimstance of why you were able got 4 1/2 week old puppy. I am giving you fair warning S*#t will hit the fan here because of all of the caring people, that said

this is very common in dogs that have taken away from their mom at too young of an age. pups start to get aggressive at 4-6 weeks and the mom is there is to teach them NO. that is why most breeders will not let pups go before 8 weeks. Since mom isnt around to teach her and lay the ground rules, they will continue this behavior and it can cause big problems in the future. Nern gave you a great site to check out.

I have a great article somewhere about this, will see if I can find it.

honeybear

4. Piper's Mom

Piper's Mom New Member

Thank you both for your replies!