1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Housebreaking Question

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Mackie8494, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Mackie8494

Mackie8494 New Member

:-# For those of you with the small poos, do you train yours to go outside or on paper/wee pads? We first thought paper would be best, then we thought outside because we have a rat terrier that goes outside. We did not know if it would mess him up seeing the other dog go inside. We have been taking Scrappy outside except during bad weather and I take him in the garage. But I read somewhere recently that the smaller dogs do better on paper. What are your thoughts? He is 11 weeks today.

Thanks,

2. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Hi there Mackie8494~

I personally don't believe that is true. I think it all depends on the way YOU train your dog. If you wish for him to go outdoors only, then outdoors it is. If you wish to train them to go indoors on paper, litter, etc., then go for it. (I will warn you though, training a pup to go indoors *can* lead to some problems; that is not to say that it can't be done though.) Or you could do a combination of both indoors and outdoors.

I decided before I brought my two shih-poos home that I wanted to train them to go outside, and no where else. So, from the day I brought them home I started housebreaking them to go outside, and outside only. Fortunately, the two of them are VERY quick learners (sometimes too smart for their own good :wink: ), so they were housebroken rather quickly! Needless to say, I am very happy with my decision, and would have it no other way.

But it all depends on your individual wishes and situation! The only suggestion I can give you though is to pick which route you want to take (outdoors only vs. indoors only vs. indoors and outdoors) and stick with it...less confusion for your dog! Although, because your rat terrier does go outside, I would do the same with Scrappy...less confusion for BOTH dogs!:idea:

Just my two cents for whatever it is worth! :D

3. Mackie8494

Mackie8494 New Member

I definitely prefer outside. As I said we have been taking Scrappy outside and I have seen him go to the door on a few occassions so he is catching on to the outdoor thing. I certainly don't want to go and reverse what he has already learned.

My next door neighbor has 2 yorkies and she keeps saying paper is quicker, easier (due to weather) etc. so I was just curious what people with the smaller ones are doing.

:D

4. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Yay for Scrappy (and you)! :eek:

Yes, I completely agree...I would continue with what you are already doing! :idea:

For some people that method works better, but again, it is up to you to decide what you would prefer. I don't think paper training is any easier or quicker, I believe it is highly dependent upon your persistence in training rather than anything else. Weather isn't much of a problem with my two dogs, they go out rain or shine, and still do their business. (When it is raining or real cold, they surely don't waste any time out there though! LOL :wink: ) However, I do think that their willingness to go outside despite the weather conditions has to do with the fact that I would always bring them outside (from day one of them coming home) to eliminate no matter if what was raining, cold, etc.

Those are my thoughts!

Have a great day! :D