1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

How closely do you follow the recommended feeding guide on

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by luvmyangels, Aug 13, 2009.

1. luvmyangels

luvmyangels New Member

kibble? Buster is now 83.6lbs, he'll be 6 months on the 17th. At what point does he need his food increased? It's been a very long time since Ive had a puppy, he's already bigger than most of my dogs were as adults.

Going by the bag of Taste of the Wild - High Prairie.

5-7 months
    60-80lbs - 4 3/4 - 5 3/4
    80-100lbs - 5 3/4 - 6 3/4

Ive been feeding him 5 cups per day (1 2/3 cups, 3 times per day) since pretty close to 60lbs. He's maintaining an average weekly weight gain of 4-6lbs, usually 6lbs.

I dont think he looks thin...visible waist, padding on his ribs though they can still be felt easily. I'll try to snap some new pictures tonight, but here's a few fairly recent ones...

August 6
    [​IMG]
    August 6
    [​IMG]
    July 30
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    5 months-65.4lbs

2. luvmyangels

luvmyangels New Member

A few new pictures of the not so little puppy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. CrabSalad

CrabSalad New Member

I have never strictly followed any guidelines since that's what they are, just guidelines. If he is doing fine on 5 cups a day then there is no need to change unless he starts to look thin, then you can just up it by another cup or so.
    You're the best judge of how much he needs. :y_the_best:

4. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

I've never followed guidelines to be honest. I feed my babies what they need. If they look a bit thin, I feed them a little more, if they look fat, feed them less.

Problem with the guidelines is they don't factor in breed sizes, energy levels, growth rates ect...

5. luvmyangels

luvmyangels New Member

It's been so long since Ive had a pup so I figured I'd ask those with more experience :wink: Everyone Ive asked pretty much says the same thing...feed him what he needs to stay at a good body condition.

Buster is a low energy pup, content to nap all day until I drag his lazy butt out for a walk. Once out, he acts more like an adult than a 6 month old puppy...calm, content to walk at my side.