1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

HOW do u mate two gold fish

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Goldfishmommi, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Goldfishmommi

Goldfishmommi New Member

I got a male and a female but they won't mate

2. Hooben

Hooben New Member

There is a common misconception in the general public, that goldfish are a beginner fish and belong in a bowl or aquarium. The truth is that goldfish are most comfortable in ponds that are at least 12 inches deep and hundreds of gallons. It is in the pond that the goldfish will reach maturity and may begin to reproduce.
    Hopefully your goldfish are in a big aquarium and have a good filter. You will need to perform regular water changes, as they are quite dirty. Unfortunately, they will not reproduce in the aquarium...but may live long lives if cared for properly.

3. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

But my goldfish is in a 30 gallon aquarium and looks pregnant.

:? :? :? :? :? :?

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Can you post a picture of it?

Goldfish are egg layers so they can't get pregnant. Fancy goldfish are naturally round & fat so I'm guessing that's just what you're seeing.

-Chelle

5. M_wm

M_wm New Member

My uncle has a little pond in his back yard it was there along with the fish when he moved in. about a month ago he was cleaning the filter and found some little dead baby goldfish :?

6. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

Ok I cant get a pic.

IT is rounder then all the rest of the fish in the aquarium but its a pearklscale so yeah.

Its not dropsy because there are no scalees sticking out.

I feed for 30 seconds is that enof???

All the fish ( exept her) are reeeeeealy skinny.

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

It's going to be really difficult to tell anything w/o pics. How are all the fish acting?

-Chelle

8. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Don't goldfish have to be a bit old and lquite arge before they will begin to their mating?

9. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I'm not sure on the exact age, but I had some 3" - 4" fantails and 4" shubunkins in my pond and they bred this past summer (only one baby managed to survive but I saw lots of little fry from time to time). But like Hooben said, it's difficult to get goldfish to breed in aquariums. It's not something that they just do (like guppies), it generally takes quite a bit of conditioning and special set ups. They're a lot more likely to breed in ponds.

-Chelle

10. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

Ocasionaly one of the other fish will chase her around for 5 minutes.

She has turned very shy.

11. Goldfishmommi

Goldfishmommi New Member

K I got pics

Um go to i think my gold fantail is pregnant and there is some pics of her

12. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

She is not getting any bigger so I gues she is just big l8ike that because she is a pearl scale.

Is 30 seconds too little to feed?

13. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Re: K I got pics

I already told you in that thread that your fish look perfectly normal.

Since your tank is overstocked, only feeding them what they'll eat in 30 secs is fine. And I'd only feed them once a day.

-Chelle

14. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

Ok ILl get rid of one of the times I feed.

Prehaps the nightime one what do you think?

15. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Sounds good.

-Chelle

16. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

Thanx!

17. Goldfishmommi

Goldfishmommi New Member

No worries she's gone

No worries now my girl one passed away. I can't mate them any more :cry:

18. A*F*O