1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

How long do Cichlids live?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by :o)rosie:o), Feb 13, 2005.

1. :o)rosie:o)

:o)rosie:o) New Member

we have a yellow/golden severin & a Silver Dollar. Does anyone know what their life span is?

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

not sure, but a few years for sure....judging on the size and type of cichlids, i would say maybe 5 years but im not positive.

3. tski22

tski22 New Member

As an average, most chiclids live about 5 to 10 years depending on how they are fept in the home aquarium. I did a little looking around online and an article stated that the owners severum lived to be 7 yrs old. Dont quote me 100 percent, but that seems about right. -tl

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

In case you don't know, a silver dollar isn't a cichlid, it's a tetra. If properly cared for, they can live around 10 years.

Severums can also live around 10 years if properly cared for.

-Chelle

5. :o)rosie:o)

We got these fish & our tank from our neighbours when they were moving as they didn't want to cause any stress for the fish or have them die, so we always went by what our neighbours said. Our local aqurium has told my dad before that the Silver Dollar is a cichlid but now I'm not sure. Thatnks for all your advice.

6. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Silver dollars arnt Cichlids they are considered Characins if you want to go scientific

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

What size is your tank and what fish are in it?

Silver dollars are actually social fish and are more comfortable in a group. But depending on your tank size, you may or may not be able to fit more in there.

-Chelle

8. venom

venom New Member

silver dollars can get to be around 8" too

9. :o)rosie:o)

We have about a 50 gal tank & we know that silver dollars are schooling fish, but he dosn't seem unhappy & hes not lethargic so I dont think he minds being the only Silver Dollar plus we have our Severum so they provide each other company. The Silver Dollar & Severum are the only fish in there at the moment.

10. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

any plans on adding in other fish, or are u just going to hold these 2 for the while being in order to learn a little?

11. :o)rosie:o)

Im not really sure yet, I'd have to talk with my dad. I'd like to add another Silver Dollar (they are a nice fish) as a mate for the one we have now & just to make things a bit more interesting, but im not sure whether it's sensible to do so. Could any one advise me on this plz? Would there be any problems with the Severum & the new SD? Is the tank adequate size for another SD? Thanks

12. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I think adding another silver dollar (maybe 2 more) would be a good idea. That should pretty much fill up the tank in terms of bioload and it will also make your current silver dollars happier and the tank will look more active.

-Chelle

13. :o)rosie:o)

We went to one of our lfs today & they said that if we wanted to add some more dollars they would have to be pretty big otherwise our Severum would give them a hard time or kill them. What do you think?

14. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

How big are your severum and silver dollar now?

I tend to agree. If you severum is a decent size then you probably would have to get some larger silver dollars.

-Chelle

15. tski22

tski22 New Member

You would be taking a chance. Having a group of about 3 larger silver dollars should reduce the risk of the severum fighting with them ebcause they have safety in numbers so to speak. -tl

16. :o)rosie:o)

Our Severum is a pretty descent size- about 20cm long. I would like to raise some dollars from quite small so we'll probably wait until our Severum is gone (that may not be for quite a while).

17. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

If you're more interested in keeping silver dollars than the severum, you could always ask the LFS if they will take the severum as a trade in on a few more silver dollars.

BTW, I just realized what your sig is. That's cute. :)

-Chelle

18. :o)rosie:o)

Chelle- I've never thought of doing that, I'll talk it over with my dad. I thought it was cute too-btw my puppys name is Rosie not mine lol, Thanks a lot. :eek:

19. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

if u do sell it to your LFs, dont be surprised by the amount they will buy it off you for....they will usually buy them for anywhere from 1/3-1/4 the price that they will end up selling the fish for.

20. :o)rosie:o)

We aren't going to sell the Serverum any more. As much as I'd like some more SD's we thought there was too high a chance that he would die of stress on the way to the shop or suddenly being put into a new strange tank after 8yrs in this one.