1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

How old to spay?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by meghan_m_25, Oct 24, 2005.

1. meghan_m_25

meghan_m_25 New Member

Casey is 4 months now. How old do they have to be to spay? There is an intact male dog next door and I heard that they will do anything to get to a female in heat. My aunt said you should wait because something about the hormones and them affecting her growth and development? I think I heard that you should spay at 6 months? How old do they have to be to start going into heat?

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

6 months is the normal spay age although some vets will do it sooner. There is no need for a dog to experience a first heat prior to spaying. That's an old wives tale. I had a dog spayed at 6 months and she still managed to hit her adult weight of nearly 100 lbs. and not be fat.

3. nern

nern New Member

It really depends on your vet, some won't do until at least 6 months others will do it sooner. Natalie was spayed at 4 months of age as recommended by my vet.

4. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Most vets I know will spay them at about 4 months, however, thanks to a link posted recently by charmedagain Ive doen a little research into the problem with dogs that can become incontinent if they are spayed too soon and before their first heat.

Go to this link and scroll down to 'female dog in heat'

http://www.stationvets.co.uk/neuter.htm#bitch

There is a real problem though with over-population and millions of pets are killed every year in shelters just for the fact that they dont have a home which is why spaying is now done so early on. If there is even the remotest chance that your dog could get with a male then have her spayed ASAP.

Of all the female dogs Ive had, most were rescues and were already spayed when I got them, my one puppy that I had was incontinent from before her first heat (developmental problem I think) but that was corrected after about a year on medication.

Of all the female dogs that I know of that we spayed in the hospitals I worked at, there were thousands over the years but I dont recall there being that many that became incontinent due to spaying.

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I don't think the incontinence thing is anything to worry about. I don't think it happens that much. Spaying before the first heat is much better than waiting. It reduces the risk of cancer a lot.

6. meghan_m_25

meghan_m_25 New Member

About how old will she be when she has her first heat?

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I believe it's between 6 months and 1 year old. If she goes into heat, you will have to wait 3 months before you can spay after that. Don't do it - get her spayed now! Most vets recommend 4-6 months and many will do it earlier now. There are quite a few that think the younger pups - like 2-3 months old - actually do better. The surgery is shorter with less complications and the dog recovers faster.

Here is a quote from a vet on a Q&A website:

8. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Spaying depends on the individual vet.
    Here is something from, The Book Of The Bitch...

Some vets think its preferable to spay young i.e before the first cycle, Others believe it is best to let the bitch become fully developed and spay midwat between her 1st and 2nd cycle.

A bitch should never be spayed immediatly before a season, during her season or while she is having a false pregnancy. Wait until she is in Anoestrus, when her genitals and mammary glands are in a quiescent state and not under increased hormonal influence. This is usually 12 weeks after the first cycle.

I personally would not have it done before her first cycle, Your vet is the best person to talk this through with.

Some dogs that are spayed before there first cycle become incontinent Same as elderly dogs which usually passes or can be treated by your vet,
    I am not saying this will happen to your girl.....

If there is any risk or chance of her being left alone, escaping during her 1st cycle have her spayed before.
    This decision can only be made by you and your vet.

Keep us posted of what your decide..

Mike

9. nern

nern New Member

Also keep in mind that there is some risk of incontinance in ALL spayed females regardless of the age in which they were spayed. I would discuss this issue with your vet if you are concerned.