1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

How to build a fish tank

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by DUCKLE-BUM, Apr 29, 2005.

1. DUCKLE-BUM

DUCKLE-BUM New Member

Hi everyone,

Does anybody know anything about, or know of any websites where I can find reliable information on how to build my own fish tank?
    I'm going to start with a small one, with mind to build a much bigger one.
    I kinda know the math behind pressure to glass thickness ratios, but 'kinda' is not enough for my liking.

I would really appreciate any help you can offer :D

2. hooterhead

hooterhead New Member

it's really a tricky thing. i had a leak in my 30 gal fat hex and had to redo it 3 times to get it to stop leaking. i'm guessing that rectangles would be much easier but as for building one from scratch... good luck.

3. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

Try buying 5 pices of glass.
    Silocone sealer and water proof glue.

Try gluing the glass together then sealing with the silicone on ether side of the corners.

Dont worry Ill check out places and try to find proper instructions.

Hope to help!

4. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

5. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

6. hooterhead

hooterhead New Member

be sure to use 100% clear silicone. any other is toxic.

7. M_wm

M_wm New Member

My 55gallon aquarium has black silicon so does my 20gallon. Just make sure the tube of silicon says aquarium safe. You can buy it at home hardware for like $3 a tube.

8. sleeper

sleeper New Member

Here's a site that will do some calculations for you. I guess the glass thickness printout is a little unreliable at larger volumes... but everything else is fine:

http://www.garf.org/tank/BuildTank.asp

9. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

100% silicone is available in black, brown, white and grey (probably other colors too, but those are the most common). I used 100% black silicone on the 3D background in my 75 gallon.

-Chelle

10. DUCKLE-BUM

DUCKLE-BUM New Member

Thanks very much for all your advice, will let you know how I get on. :D

11. hooterhead

hooterhead New Member

ok 100% silicone. just usually see clear

12. tyler_medeiros

tyler_medeiros New Member

is a homemade tank able to be 19 inch - 80 inch - 12 inch. i woiuld like to put it in a wall so it has to be pretty thin.

13. M_wm

M_wm New Member

I dont see why not.

14. tyler_medeiros

tyler_medeiros New Member

what is the difference between glass and acrilic

15. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

acrylic tanks are 1 solid piece, not "glued" together on sides like normal glass tanks. they are lighter then glass, but then again they scratch alot easier.

16. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Acrylic is like 1/3 of the weight of a glass tank to so they are waayyy easier to move.

17. sleeper

sleeper New Member

Acryllic tanks are also better when taller, because the substance handles the water pressure up top better.