1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

How to set up a quarantine tank

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by tina1, Jul 14, 2004.

1. tina1

tina1 New Member

Does anyone know how a quarantine tank should be set up? I know lots of sites advocate totally barebottomed and no decor. But I'd like to keep it up just like any other tank but maybe with just one permanent resident to keep it cycled. Does this sound about right?

Also, I've read that q-tanks shouldn't be cycled. That they should only be setup upon the arrival of the new fish and torn down and sterilized immediately after removing the fish. How does that sound? Seems a little weird to me.

Anyone have thoughts?

2. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I'm not a hundred percent sure but they way most people told me is just a simple tank with a filter, gravel and a plant would be nice and all the other things needed in a regular tank. The only difference they told me was that this tank is generally smaller and doesn't need much decorations. But, don't quote me on this! This is only what I heard!

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I don't keep a permanant hospital/QT tank. I just have 2 filters running on my fry tank and keep some storage bins laying around. So if I ever do need it set up, I just put water in the storage bin and throw on the extra filter.

-Chelle

4. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

i just leave my running with a dwarf pleco in it it has gravel and some live plants in it

5. tina1

tina1 New Member

Ok thanks guys and gals. I think I will just turn my fry tank into a q-tank after all the fry guys are gone. I'll probably just use the otos in there now to keep it cycled.

6. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

not a bad idea!

7. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

sounds good to me

8. OneWolvesDream

9. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Sorry my bad I guess my post was misleading! :( That's what my lfs told. Sorry again!

10. tina1

tina1 New Member

No actually I think you are right on the money. My existing tank doesn't have many decorations or anything at all. All it has is a little gravel, a piece of wood, and a few plants. Nothing extensive at all (makes it too hard to catch the fry guys :wink: ) That's what makes it a good candidate for being a q-tank I think.

Thanks for sharing what you heard. I always appreciate every different opinion being expressed.

11. OneWolvesDream

jup just put in some needed things, its not really ment to much for the look, just for the fish.

12. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Alright thanks!

13. OneWolvesDream

lol, no prob. :D