1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I am very confused

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by charmedagain, Mar 20, 2006.

1. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi everyone, as you all know its very rare i need help but my labrador cross really has me confused.

Well it is now day 7 of her first heat cycle and she has stopped bleeding completely, I have even gently opened her vulva to look for traces of blood and nothing, She didnt swell at all.

What is bothering me is i have never owned a female dog that had a cycle like this.

My german shepherds had normal cycles came in bled like crazy and you could tell they were swollen up.

So any info would be great as i know no 2 bitches are the same but this is just crazy having a week long cycle.
    In all the years i have been breeding german shepherds i have never had a dog like her heheheh

Just so everyone is clear i am not breeding her as she is a cross breed and i do not believe in it, My vet will not spay until 12weeks after the first cycle so i really need to know if this is what is happening.

She is healthy, eating, drinking well, very bouncy more so since she started. there was no smeel from the discharge she had so i know there was no infection all in all she is normal apart from this.

Mike

2. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Seeing as this is her first cycle, I wouldn't be too concerned, especially as you're having her spayed in a few months anyway. I've known several females who had very short first cycles, or cycles where there was so little bleeding you didn't see any at all unless you really got up close and personal. I've even seen females who always seemed to have short cycles, but it's more common in smaller dogs.

If you want to be 100% sure you could have your vet do a vaginal cytology, but if it were me, I don't think I'd bother. I'd just keep a close eye on her for discharge or any other signs of infection.

3. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi shine thanks for the info, Well she is still her normal self she is not giving me any cause for alarm since there is no discharge, She not off her food and i have taken her temp and its normal.

Again thanks i will keep a vey close eye on her, I was told it could be a split heat and she could come back in again within a week or so.

I knew i would have an awkward dog heheheheh

mike