1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I Need A Cat Whisperer

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by loves-da-pits, Apr 7, 2007.

1. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

I have a huge problem! I'll try to condense my dilemma since this all started around the Holidays.

My DH rescued a kitten from a shelter a couple of days before the Holidays. I already have 3 cats ages 6 yrs through 14 yrs. Well, it just so happen that the kitten had an URI that he passed on to two of my other cats. I was surprised that the old cat didn't get it.

After treating the new kitten, Max and Buddy, I noticed that on X-Mas night Buddy was very sick. Max and the kitten was recovering nicely. The next day I took Buddy to the Vet and discovered that he had developed pneumonia. More care and meds for Buddy. After a week or better Buddy is recovering from pneumonia but is getting weaker and thinner. Back to the Vet. This time liver and kidney failure. Since Buddy was an over-weight cat he had developed hepatic lipidosis.

After six weeks of touch and go, he recovered. He almost died. The Vet didn't hold out much hope since his liver was not functioning and he was so jaunticed. But, I didn't give up on him and forced fed him with a syringe and gave him tons of meds. He eventually pulled out of it.

Now, my problem. Even though he's recovered, is healthy, slim and trim, still can't get him to eat on his own. It's like he has a mental block and forgot how to eat on his own. Sort of like anorexic people do. He eats toilet paper if I leave the bathroom door open. Pieces of paper off the floor. Chews at shoe strings and tries to eat it. Everything but what he's suppose to eat. FOOD!!!

I've tried tricking him by putting a small piece of paper in his food to not feeding him with the syringe till the end of the day to get him good and hungry. I've tempted him with every kind of food I can think of. Even the Vet doesn't know what to do. He suggested diazapam might help but I'm not real crazy about doing that. He's had enough meds. It's like he's just wiped out of his brain how to eat food on his own. At least he's drinking water on his own.

So, I'm open to any kind of suggestions. Is there such a thing as an animal psychologist? I love my guy so much and work so hard to bring him back. I can't believe we can't get through this one obstacle.

[​IMG]

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

hi Sharon! Where have you been? YOur kitty is gorgous. I am sorry I cant be of any help, except to agree it sounds like he cant associate how to connect the food and eating part. I wonder if he had some sort of nerological damage and needs to be retrained in that function, You live in a pretty big city, is ttheir like a cat neurologist of sort sort they can recommend you to?

this may be of some help
    http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/whatsnew/ ... fm?id=1734

3. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti New Member

a friend of mine had a similar problem with her cat not eating. after her daughter left for the summer, the cat refused to eat and even when her daughter came back it was like the cat couldn't remember how to eat. they finally went to a holistic vet who gave them some recommendations, and it worked, but i can't remember the vet's name! although i'm not sure she's in your area anyway.

4. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

I don't have any good answer but wanted to say your kittie is so cute.

The only thing I can think of is maybe try to give him a little regular people tuna that comes in a can. My kitties go wild over white tuna in a can. It has a strong smell. When I'm making tuna salad they beg and beg and I give them both a little taste. I don't give them too much because I don't want them to get sick on it.

Anyway maybe your kitty will smell it and want to try to eat it himself.

5. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I know a couple of people that swear by Anita Curtis. You'll have to google her as I don't have her info. But I do understand she is quite good.
    Have you tried things like chicken baby food? Be sure there are no onions in it though. Tuna flakes perhaps. Things to entice him to try to eat it on his own. My cats would bypass a filet for tuna flakes.
    I'd also, when you can get him to eat on his own, add some milk thistle to his food. It helps the liver to regenerate. Great stuff!!!! My Sadie dog was on it for years and her counts started to come back to nearly normal w/in months.
    He is a lovely boy

6. Ushyna

Ushyna New Member

Good stuff, might help.

There is a product that you can give to a cat (or dog or ferret) when they don't want to eat or are unable to eat. It is a paste and comes in a tube and you sqeeze it into their mouth. It's very sticky, they don't have a choice but to lick it off the mouth and swallow it. I gave it to my cat for 6 weeks when he was hit by a car. It has alot of nutition and smells very appetizing.
    My daughter bought it for her ferret but she was too sick with cancer and had to be put to sleep anyway. But my cat recovered and still lived for many years.
    I am not sure what it was called but it started with "Nutri" or "Nutra". You can get it at the Vet. It should be wellknown.
    It might stimulate your cat's appetite.

7. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

there is NutraCal and VitaCal both very good.

8. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Thanks everyone! As of today it's been 9 weeks since he's eaten on is own. Estimated recovery time is 6 to 12 weeks. Sometmes longer in severe cases. I would say that Buddy's case would be classified as severe since he had the URI and pnuemonia prior to the H.L. The other day he had a bout of vomiting. But thank goodness it passed.

This has been a real wake up call for me as to what can happen if you let your cat get over weight. It's not so cute to have that rolley polley cat when they do decide not to eat for a couple of days. I just hope that Buddy is a success story and not a statistic.

I will most definately ask about NutraCal and VitaCal. Calorie intake is upmost important with these guys.

9. Ushyna

Ushyna New Member

You could also try "Whisker Lickins". It's a treat for cats, my cat Smokey and my daughter's cats are crazy about it, from the first time I gave it to him. It smells great too.

10. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

This is really huge for me!!! Buddy has just eaten his first bites of food on his own since before Feb. 8th. I feel like I've just won the lottery.

I took it on advise and ordered some NutraCal from PetMed. Of course he showed no interest in it on his own. So, I mixed a TBS. and a half in his food mixture that I mix for him along with his potassium supplement. I figured if anything I could cut down feeding him only 3 times a day instead of 5. Maybe with the added calories he gained some more strength to actually feel good enough to eat.

Anyway, it's a start and a huge step in the right direction. Back in February he was so sick that nobody was holding out any hope for him. We were just one day from having him put down except when the day came he showed a sign that he wasn't ready to go just yet. Just to let you know prayer does work :)
    Thanks everyone for your help!!

11. Starry

Starry New Member

That's great news for Buddy - slowly but surely wins the day

12. Ushyna

Ushyna New Member

I am so glad Buddy is eating again, I hope he will be eating again from now on. Keep us all up on him.

13. Bente

Bente New Member

Great news :eek: