1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I need help... PLEASE

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by ilovemycockatiels, May 18, 2006.

1. ilovemycockatiels

ilovemycockatiels New Member

I have an issue with my dog Roxy and I don't know what to do...

I have no idea what happened but yesterday when she came in from outside my mom's boyfriend saw that her foot was swollen and he cleaned it out for me. When I came home last night I saw that the biggest pad on her foot was swollen about twice the size. I could see nothing wrong with it (except for it being swollen) I washed it out, put some neosporin on it with a guage pad and wrapped it. When I woke up at 3am to use the bathroom I took it off to let it air out, then when i got up at 6am I notice a little bit of blood on it, again I cleaned it, put neosporin on it and wrapped it. A little bit ago i took the wrap off and the gauge was soaked with blood/puss, I'm surprised it didn't leak everywhere. Her pad is still swollen and not only that, it seems like her whole foot is swollen. So I am asking for advice because I don't know what is safe for her or what I can do to treat it. So if you know what I can do please reply asap...

2. hermann muenster

hermann muenster New Member

I would get to the vet ASAP! Sometimes puncture wounds on the food can go unnoticed for days until they are abscessed and the infection begins to spread. I bet your vet will probably open up the wound, drain it, scrub it, bandage it, and put your dog on antibiotics.

I have a friend that lost a dog because of a paw puncture and the dog got septic from the infection.

I had a dog that was a digger - she pierced the web between her pads. There was no blood - but after a couple of days I noticed some licking and a little limping. When I checked out her paw - I saw the redness. Off to the vet we went! I was lucky to catch the infection early. The only real complication from this was trying to keep a bandage on the dogs paw. The vet I was using at the time didn't suggest using an E-collar. If I had known at the time - I would have used the collar and I would have saved myself a lot of duct tape and grief.

3. ilovemycockatiels

What is the cost we are looking at? I really don't have the money and she hasn't eaten anything all day and usually she is a piglet. It doesn't seem to be getting better either... I just wish I had the money and I woulda took her today... I am keeping it clean and bandaging it, which is no problem for my dog, she doesn't bother to take it off... if there is any way I can do this with little or no cost, at home please let me know...

4. hermann muenster

I don't remember exactly how much the vet charged - If it was a lot - I would have remembered. It must have been about$25.00. He just considered it cleaning and bandaging a wound.

If you are concerned about the dog - I wouldn't let the cost keep you from loosing him to blood poisoning. Since this is an emergency - I am sure the vet will work out a payment with you

Here's another thing to think about --- the longer you wait ---- the more extensive and expensive the vet visit.

Good luck.

5. JeanReed

JeanReed New Member

Hi Ashley

I am sorry to hear about your dog. Is there not a shelter or rescue unit close to you that might be able to treat your dog? Where I live we have the SPCA which treats animals for free or at very low cost if the owners can't afford treatment. Alternatively, if you only have access to a private vet, then discuss the possibility of being allowed to pay off the fees. With a bit of luck, he / she will be willing to let you do this. I do agree with the others that have replied to you - please get your dog treatment as soon as possible as the infection will spread. If she is off her food, it probably means that she is feeling awful and the infection is already spreading.

Good luck, and please let us know what happens.

Jean

6. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

I agree with above posts, your dog needs to see a vet, whatever you do though dont put any ointments on there, some of them work to heal up the skin faster and thats the last thing you want to do when you have infection.

If your dog was still eating well and didnt seen too bothered with it then you might be able to get away with just soaking it a couple of times a day and keeping the area clean (which isnt easy when its on a pad anyway) but once they start with loss of appetite, lethargy etc then you absolutely need to see a vet, no question.

7. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

when a person takes on the responsiblity of a pet, much like a child, now and then there are going to be unexpected emergencies.
    And no I have not a wealthy person...but if my pets need something and it's an emergency I'll give up anything to make sure they get it.
    By not getting your dog the medical care it needs is considered neglect.
    I don't mean to be rude but it's plain and simple - the dog needs medical care now. If you can't afford to give the dog the medical care it desperately needs maybe you need to rethink having the dog.
    Give up that cup of coffee in the morning, if you smoke give up smoking, walk more and drive less...there are tons of things you can give up for a little while to pay off a vet bill.
    I'm sure we've all been there - I know I have. Worked 2 jobs once to pay off a surgery my previous dog had.

8. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I totally agree with Mary, but since you need help now as others have said, the dog needs to see a vet find one that wiork with you on payment over time , or the SPCA.

It I remember your previous posts this is a fairly new dog to you, which means iRoxy will be around years with vet costs over this time, if you cant afford a trip to the vet you need to seriously think of rehoming Roxy.

goodl luck an dplease keep us posted on Roxy

9. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I agree with everyone else - the dog NEEDS to see a vet NOW no matter what it costs. Try to find one who will let you make payments.

10. ilovemycockatiels

well Mary, you said you weren't trying to be rude but you were, you need to realize I am only 17... and I AM NOT neglecting my dog, thank you... My mom is the one not cooperating here... I have been trying all day to get her to the vet today and since I am unemployed I don't have a car I need to bum a ride from someone and that person that was going to take me has put it off all day... NOT ME!! If it were up to me I would've went yesterday but unfortunately I have no car but I do have my license. That doesn't help me since I can't borrow anyones car because of insurance not covering me...
    And as some of you asked... As far as i know there are no SPCA organizations around here. I live in a very small town in Oregon and the closent bigger city is Walla Walla, Washington, which is where my normal vet is and I have never seen SPCA there or anything.
    I did talk to the vet and they said that they can hold checks (not money in my account) and take credit cards (I am only 17) They said we can't have a payment plan or anything when i talked to them over the phone, BUT they haven't seen the dog yet. BTW she is eating now, so thats good. I am still keeping it clean and wrapped up to avoid any germs to getting in there.
    Well thanks for all your replies, I will get her to the vet and I will keep you posted on what happens...

11. hermann muenster

I didn't realize that you were a teen.
    Please try to get your dog to the vet. He could die from blood poisoning if the infection spreads into his system. This can come on quite suddenly too! If your dog does become septic - the vet bills could really add up --- hospitalization, anitibiotics, the possible cost of an amputation?

And if your dog dies? Well, let's not even go there!!

At the very least --- call your vet and ask how to clean the wound and what home remedies can be used.

In my personal experience -- I would NOT put neosporin on the puncture and then bandage. I think all you are doing is sealing the bacteria in. You may want to scrub the wound area with soap and water. Dry it very well, and put a clean gauze bandage on. And do this twice a day. Your vet may be able to call in a prescription for a human antibiotic at your local drug store if he knows you and trusts your diagnosis.

Good luck --

Get your mom to give you a hand with this one!

12. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I'm not being rude - I'm being realistic.
    Bottom line is the wellbeing of the dog - not your excuses for not being able to take him to the vet.
    I have a 17 year old son - so the teen thing doesn't make me anymore sympathetic for you.
    My sympathies are for the dog who needs medical attention.

13. ilovemycockatiels

Well Mary, I'm glad that you care about all the people on here, not everyone is in a good financial state. All u seem to care about is the animals...

Well anyways, for all of you that DO care, I finally got Roxy to the vet, my mom took me. They put her under level 2 sedation, cleaned and drained the wound, then they wrapped it with gauge and rubber stuff. They said something went in her pad, stayed in there and when it ruptured, it ruptured in 5 different places, 2 of which were on top of the foot. They said they want to see her again on Monday to change her bandage, but she has been home for like 3 hours and is already bleeding through it a little bit. So I called and they said if she is still bleeding at 4 to take her back or if needbe take her back tomorow to get her bandage changed. She is on two different medications that she takes twice a day, morning and evening. She is going to be okay so thanks for all the wishes for good luck...

Ashley

14. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

wonderful you took your dog to the vet :eek:
    and yes I do tend to care more about animals than I do people....we have a voice - they don't.
    I care about children too as they also don't have much of a voice.
    People can take care of themselves, we have domesticated many animals and made them dependent on us for their care.
    Doesn't mean I would turn my back on someone in dire need (depending on the circumstances) but I do have to admit, and with no shame at all, that I find animals much more comforting and enjoyable than the average person.
    I've worked in the customer service field for 25+ years and seen the lack of humanity and decency in a lot of people who only care about themselves. I have been yelled at by people simply because they were having a bad day. Have yet to have an animal give me a hard time cause they are having a bad day.
    And no - my financial status isn't such that I can spend $$ freely. I'm still wearing jeans I bought in the '90s and I have one pair of dress shoes for work.
    But my animals get vet care when they need it. I can only wear one pair of shoes at a time so I don't need a closet full. And my jeans still fit so why buy new ones. But my animals do require things now and then.

15. hermann muenster

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Well said Mary!!!

Ashley I am so glad you got to the vet. Take care of your pup!

Best wishes.

16. ilovemycockatiels

Yeah I am very glad I got my mom to take me... One thing is still wrong though, the meds she is on are making her throw up... I called the vet AGAIN (lol) and they said to take her off the meds for the rest of the day and not to give her food today. Tomorrow I have to start her back up on it and if she throws up more to take her off again anf let them know Monday when I take her back... She is on 50mg Rimadyl (morning and evening) and 500mg cephalexin (again morning and evening). They said it was probably the Rimady that made her throw up... Well thanks everyone, and Mary I am sorry for being b****y at you but I was having a bad day and I wanted to apologize...

17. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti New Member

I get the same thing from my family all the time Mary, I'm with you.

18. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I apologize too...I'm sure you were worried enough about your dog w/out me ragging on you.
    Rimadyl can be tough on dogs. My previous dog couldn't take it at all.
    While your dog is taking Rimadyl you might want to add milk thistle to her food (can get it pretty cheap at WalMart in the vitamin section). Rimadyl can wreak havoc with the liver and the milk thistle helps to offset that side effect.
    Sadie used to get horrible "dire-rear" with Rimadyl so I couldn't give it to her.
    P.S. I've become cynical in my "old" age LOL

19. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I am so glad to her Roxy is okay, hoping she makes a speedy recovery. sounds like a nasty wound,

20. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I am so glad to her Roxy is okay, hoping she makes a speedy recovery. sounds like a nasty wound,