1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I need texas info..

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Trickster, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Aite, well after getting a black convict, i soon found it was a female, and i was hoping for a male, so anyway i was planning to get a 2nd black convict, a male 1, so i tagged a ride along with my friend who was returning his "Black Convict" because it wasnt a black convict, (since pet store emplooyes usualy know as much about fish as a person who puts an guppy in a salt water tank.

It turns out that they gave him a texas, so in the car i was thinking, instead of getting a second black, id buy the texas off him.

Anyway i got him, my female black convict aient to happy with that, chases him (even thou the texas is bigger), She dont nip or anything, just quick chases.

Anyway i was looking for some help with texas convicts cause its impposible to find a reliable web site that actually contains information on them..

•How big to texas get? (As big as a normal convict? 6"?)
    •Do they also develop a orange underbelly if female?
    •Do they have the same aggresive nature?
    •And anything else i should know?

(o and can someone post a pic of their texas, I just wana compare mine, and i wana see an adult size texas.)

2. Hooben

Hooben New Member

Well,
    If your talking about the Texas cichlid...herichthys guttatus
    You will be way overstocked if it's a 20 gallon tank that you're talking about. Along with that, the Texas is carniverous and grows to 12 or 13 inches. Looks like you might need more like a 70-100 gallon tank, so be careful. Fishes that may have gotten along in a 100 gallon tank will always fight in a 20 gallon. It's just that these are agressive fish!I've never heard of a betta and molly surviving such an agressive storm of fish either. They are going to be lunch along with that little tetra...real soon.
    I would take something back if I were you.
    Hope it works out.

3. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Im talking about the texas, type of convict......

Texas/Convict crossbreed

Hes got a big orange eye, all greenish color with black stripes, and same type of fins and my convict, except anal fin is more pointed,

So is this one gonna grow as big as you say? Or is this the convict/Texas crossbreed? and if it is... how big will it grow?

4. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Ill try to get a pic soon....

5. big-pig-666

big-pig-666 New Member

that would be an awsome hybred please post a pic.. it would probablly be semi aressive seeing cons are pretty agressive and most texas are pretty timid for being such a big cichlid.. ide guess it would stay at around 7-9 inches... maybe its not even a black con/texas.. probablly just another species of fish entirely..

6. big-pig-666

big-pig-666 New Member

IMO your overstocked for the 20

7. Trickster

Trickster New Member

I know im WAY over stocked, but im getting a 10g and cleaning it up by moving some fish into it, the thing is that the convict are not even 2 inches yet, so im not overstocked at the minute, but i will be when they full grown, thats why im moving fish into 10g.

YEa, im gonna take a few pics maybe today (friday) or tommorow.

I really need identifcation on it before i return it, cuz i wana keep him if i can.

8. Trickster

Trickster New Member

[​IMG]

OK, thats how he looks! What is it? is it a texas/convict crossbreed?

Or is it a diffrent type of cichlid? I NEED IDENTIFICATION NOW! (cuz i plan on giving im back Today if i cant keep him, so i need to find out wut he is, how big he is!)

9. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

actually that looks more like a severum to me.

10. Hooben

Hooben New Member

Any way you look at it, there's no room for mollies,guaramies with any type of convict regardless of tank size. It does look like a severum which is from south america and can be agressive. It will grow to 10 - 12 inches.
    I'm afraid your tank is just too small.

11. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Im getting rid of the thingy, I am moving molly and tetra into 10g, im getting a 29g to move the convicts in. (soon to be breeding pair)

(O yea cuz i got a 2nd convict, in about a month or 2 i will have a 29 g.)

12. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

i just have to say this you should have the tank before you buy the fish what happens if you don't get the tank ?

13. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Your right, turns out im not getting the 29g.................................................................................................................................................Im getting a 40 gallon instead, im gonna put convicts and some other cichlids tht get about 9" long.

14. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

A 9" cichlid and 2 cons is too much for a 40 gallon. And if the cons breed, they'll kill the other fish anyway.

-Chelle

15. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Well, a couple of yellow labs (8" Cichlids) and the convicts.....

Ill remove any eggs that come in so they have nothing to protect, or maybe ill just keep the 2 convicts in there, OR ill buy a 55 gallon with cichlids and give the cons a 30 gallon.

(All this would be done in about a year time, cuz i dont wana do anything before i move)

16. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Yellow labs do not get 8", they max out at around 3". They also require a totally different environment than cons so they are really incompatible.

You'd be better off just leaving the cons in there with nothing else.

-Chelle

17. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

if you get the forty i would just put the cons in there as well

18. Trickster

Trickster New Member

I get my fish at Aquarium Services and they are pretty trust worthy bunch

But they say the lab does get around 8".

Could you show me a pic of the yellow lab u know of? so i can compare.... because it could be a diffrent fish that has been titeled incorrectly,

19. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

[​IMG]

heres a yellow lab.

20. Trickster

Trickster New Member

The ones there a diffrent, but they also have those under a diffrent name.