1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I really need help! My last pregnant female guppy died!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Nameless, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Nameless

Nameless New Member

No one really fully answered my last post and now unfortunately my female guppy died this morning. To summarize my last post I was asking for help because for some odd reason in my feeder guppy breeder tanks only the "pregnant females" are dying but the non-pregnant females and males are alive. This continued until my very last female got pregnant and I found her dead this morning. Why is this happening. My water quality is good I know that for a fact and I made sure to separate the male from the female once she is pregnant so that they don't harass her, so I don't know what to do now. What do I do? Guppy breeding is supposed to be easy!

2. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

i have had that with all my pregnant platties. the best you could do when they give birth or are about to is seperate them so they are alone for birth then when she is done keep her seperated to she can regain her strength. they say guppy breeding is easy because they just breed whenever. though what they dont include in what you need to know is the time for her to recover.

3. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Thanks for your reply! However, my problem is that even when or if I separate the females they always die before giving birth and I can't get any fry because once all of them get pregnant they all die shortly after before giving birth.

4. OneWolvesDream

hmm :? how many of your fish has this happend to? there could be some causes like stress is a bad part of moving fish, the stress can make the female delay her death and with that it causes deformed fry or causes her to die in the worst of times. another could be her having a birth probolem where she is unable to give birth. i think someone here had that probolem, i forgot who but she/he ended up tryin to push the fry out, sorry im not much help with this one. thats all the causes i could think of.

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Did you get them all at the same place & time? Guppies can get pretty inbred so it could be possible for them to have developed some sort of deformity that makes them incapable of giving birth and they die from being fry-bound. That's the only thing I can think of anyway.

-Chelle

6. OneWolvesDream

i never thought of that one! that is a common cause to deaths of fish in my lfs. theyover stock the tanks so its past the 1" rule. the fish die to quickly. some are deformed and are missing 50% of all scales. its a sad thing to see.

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

When I was breeding guppies in a tank, I ended up with quite a few that had crooked spines which was most likely from inbreeding.

-Chelle

8. OneWolvesDream

thats sad. my friend had something like that with her fry but they sorted themselves out. the fish is still alive n well

9. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

i dont know what to suggest, but it has been heard of that you ka sqeeze the babies out the mum after she has died, and some may survive. My LFS do it all the time aparently. iv had 3 guppy mum deaths recently.

sorry to hear about your deaths/

Amy. x

10. OneWolvesDream

thats always a sad thing! i got lucky and havnt had that probolem and i hope i never do, poor poor fish. it must be horrible to go through that.

11. Nameless

Nameless New Member

This has happened to all 10 females and I made sure that in each tank that I the only moving of fish was done only to the males.

12. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Yes, I got them around the same time but I got some from a friend and the others I got from my LFS.

Thanks for replying!

13. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Is that right or safe to squeeze the babies out?

Thanks for your concern and your reply!

14. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Sorry OneWolfsDream I forgot to thank you for your reply! Thanks!

15. OneWolvesDream

lol, no prob.

16. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

If the mother has just died it wouldn't hurt to try.

-Chelle

17. OneWolvesDream

you can try but i doubt that any will be alive.

18. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I tried it and it didn't quiet work well! All that happened was that I flattened the the females stomach! Probaly I was doing it wrong knowing me.

19. OneWolvesDream

lol, yeah i think you have to put a certain amount of pressure on the tip of the stomach something like that.

20. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Oh well, this has completly discouraged me from breeding guppies in the future. I still don't know what went wrong!