1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Ideal fencing for a single horse

Discussion in 'Horses - all breeds / types' started by horse_child, Dec 12, 2004.

1. horse_child

horse_child New Member

I have a QH gelding and in the spring i want to bring him to my house so i can work cows with my neighbors. (currently he is at a borders) for a temporary fencing that i can easily move around (so he can do a little mowing for fire protection) what is the best bet? electric? panels? i'd ride him everyday, so it wouldn't need to be huge. just big enough that he can play a little. and is a horse ok my himself for a month or 2 or do i need to get a goat of something to keep him company?

2. Sara

Sara New Member

He should be fine alone if you plan on riding every day etc...

Also the cheapest way to do moveable fence is the nylon stuff they make specifically for field rotation type... BUT since he's an only horse for this time he'll likely need something pretty sturdy so panels would be the EASIEST to move around etc... Electric would need to be plugged in so moving it around isn't too easy...but for just ONE spot and to keep a horse for a short ammount of time on the property...I'd go wtih Electrice it's cheaper and easier to put up and can be taken down if necessary at the end of his stay... Panels can get pretty expensive.

3. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

I suse solar panels on all my electric fences. That way its 100% portable. I got mine for $59 and bought the 10 guage feild wire. Galvanized.

Make sure you flag the wire though every 8ft. that way he can see the wire!

They also make the nylon ribbon stuff. ITs good, but I don't particulary like it.

4. horse_child

horse_child New Member

Ok, thanks, how big was the enclosure for 59$? Where did you get it? Thanks so much, everything i've researched is WAY out of my price range.

5. Samsintentions

The solar box is aobut 6"X8"X4" it was priced at $59 and the wire was a quarter mile roll, it only cost me about $6.00.

Let me see if I can find you the one I got...

I would at least make the pen a 50ftX50ft if you can.... no smaller than a 20X20 with an electric fence. You'll want to make it at least 2 stranded..I only use one wire as perimeter, but 2 is better...

6. horse_child

horse_child New Member

thank you sooo much sams!

7. ya_gotta_luv_em

ya_gotta_luv_em New Member

i also board my horse
    and last year, my dad & i built a small paddock so that my 15hh mare could stay @ our house sumtimes. The paddock is bout 1/4 of an acre @ tha most, but if i ride her evriday she is fine.
    my horse also hates being by herself, but i just have 2 go outside & say hi 2 her evri now & then & she is alrite.
    We made the fence with 3 rows of normal wire and a wooden board along tha top, which probly wasnt the best idea since she has chewed all tha top of tha wood.
    hope i have bn of sum help

8. Samsintentions

Here's one for $79.00

Its a regular one:

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... b0d0204ae5

They don't have the one I got though.... I guess they don't carry it anymore.
    Here's the easiest set up you can buy and its cheap!!!

The posts already have the insulators on them and they just "step" push into the ground....

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... eedd4b724f

ANd here's the wire I use:

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... b0d0204ae5

Or you can buy it all in one Package for $299 which is WAY CHEAP for what you get!!

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... 74b62e2e3b

9. horse_child

horse_child New Member

Wow sams! thanks so much for your help!

10. Samsintentions

No problem!