1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Innoculations / Antibiotics causing epilepsy?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by JeanReed, May 2, 2006.

1. JeanReed

JeanReed New Member

Thanks to everyone for the replies so far. However, I live in South Africa and have never heard of a titer test. What is that?

Thanks

Jean

2. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

UK admits dogs from there without putting them into quarrantine so they must do titer testing. (I thought they pretty much routinely titer tested pets there for Erlichia and Leishmans?) Its basically a blood test to check for antibodies to various diseases.
    I.E my dog recently had Rabies titer done, its a little different for international travel purposes with Rabies, they dont avoid getting the vaccine but the antibody results have to be above 0.5IU/ml two weeks after vaccine was given, and then it takes about 6 months until their cleared.

With parvo in puppies a titer can be done as pups have maternal antibodies usually up until between 8-12 weeks, some puppies lose the maternal antibodies sooner, some later....and theres no way to know which pups are protected and which arent without doing the test which is why the vets go on the safe side of starting a vaccine series at 8 weeks, before then theres no point as they will still have maternal antibodies....unless the puppy has been hand raised, orphaned....

3. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I realize that there are problems with titer tests, which is why I don't do them! I did one for rabies to turn in with my letter from the vet excusing Nala from her yearly rabies shot, but since they didn't even read the letter and renewed my license anyway, I won't be wasting my money on any more.

I also checked into laws in case - god forbid - Nala bites someone. If it is off my property, there is no difference between having a current shot and not having a current shot. Either way, it is 10 days quarantine at the vet. If it happens on my property, then if she had a current shot I could do the quarantine in my home, and if she doesn't she has to go to the vet. Seems like a minimal risk to me.

The practice of yearly boosters started as a way to get owners to bring their pets in for a yearly exam. Vets don't remember that anymore and they use fear to keep you coming in. Yearly boosters are NOT necessary!

4. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

The policies vary then I think from State to State.

I agree with you about the reason for the vets doing the yearly boosters as a way to do a yearly exam....only problem thre is most of the vets (before the 3 year vaccine protocol came up) is that it was mostly the techs that do the vaccines anyway....the vet didnt even get to see the pets unless the owners paid additional. :?

5. JeanReed

JeanReed New Member

DeLaUK - there is a 6 month quarantine for dogs to go from SA to the UK? That is why so many dogs are rehomed here - because the owners move to the UK and don't want their dogs to go into quarantine for 6 months. I will do some research here and see if I can find out anything about titers.

Thanks for the info

Jean

6. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

They dont 'have' to go into quarrantine as long as theyre tested 6 months prior to leaving.

Up until not too long ago any pet coming into UK had to go into quarrantine. The last case of Rabies there was I think 1957 (found in a fox in Scotland) They never used to vaccinate against it so they would automatically be quarrantined on entry. Now though, due to the risk of Rabies getting back in since the UK/France tunnel being built they do vaccinate but they still take precautions, like I said with my dog, she was given the Rabies vaccine here last October (in Germany) and then two weeks later had her blood test, she was cleared for entry in April just gone....so its like shes done her 6 month quarrantine period here. But the problem is a lot of people dont know they can do this, no-one tells them so theyll be ready to leave thinking that they can take their pet back to UK with them....but then find out that without doing the testing 6 months ago the pet does actually have to go straight into quarrantine in UK.

I should add that the laws are different coming from different countries, in Europe (EU countries mostly) there are specific guidlines as to what vaccines/tests need to be done prior to entry into UK, from other countries though, Africa, certain Asian countries theyre might be stricter regulations depending on what diseases are more common in each particular country.

This is common on any 'island' countries, Hawaii, Iceland, New Zealand (I think) and more....mainly places where Rabies has been wiped out, I went through the same testing 2 years ago to get a clients dog over to them in Hawaii, had to have the 6 month prior titer testing done for Rabies.

Not all countries require it, I dont think US does and I could take my dog to any other country on mainland Europe without her having been tested.

Heres the UK site though that covers all the requirements for pets coming in from various countries.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm