1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

is airstone/pump needed for 1 fish?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by big-pig-666, Nov 21, 2005.

1. big-pig-666

big-pig-666 New Member

i have 1 small pygme cory cat in the tank with my newts to clean up what ever they don't eat, so my question is do i need a airstone for him or should the little submergable foam filter a good enough air supply?

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Sponge filters are generally run off of an air stone. As long as the surface of the water is being agitated and the cory isn't gasping for air at the surface (they do occasionally go up to the surface to gulp air, but it shouldn't be more than a few times/day) there should be enough oxygen.

Out of curiosity, approximately how many gallons of water does the pygmy cory have? Also, you should be aware that cories (and especially pygmy cories) are very social fish and can become extremely stressed if they're kept singly. They really do best in groups of at least 3, but preferrably 6 or more.

-Chelle

3. big-pig-666

big-pig-666 New Member

the cory is in a 15 gallon that is filled up about 3/4ths.. so about 12 gallons.. i added 2 more cories today along with another plant. which was carrying snails :x

4. big-pig-666

big-pig-666 New Member

i dont think the tank is getting enough oxygen... ther cories are just sitting on the boottom with there gills going quickly, but they rarly swim to the top of the tank for air..

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Some extra aeration wouldn't hurt then.

You might also want to check your levels for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte. I don't know how messy newts are, but sponge filters aren't the most efficient filtration.

-Chelle