1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Is It Time?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by qwertyhimself, Apr 25, 2004.

1. qwertyhimself

qwertyhimself New Member

My dog Lightning, is about 12 now. He is a relativly big dog about 60-70 pounds and I was wondering if It was time to put him down. As some of you know, he started breaking out of my fence a few years ago and he has hurt himself alot in the process, all his teeth are busted up from biteing the metal fence and he has damaged the cartilidge on his nose because there is a bump there. He spends about half his day in the garage because he has gotton in the habbit since so many people shoot off fireworks all the time. I just dont know is he is happy anymore and im not shrue what to do. Thanks

2. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Hi I think I remeber your original post, is your dog otherwise healthy? This is a decision that you will have to make for the good of your dog. Maybe a rescue group could find a nice home for your dog to live out the rest of his life where he will not escape. I would try all options at helping him live out the rest of his days a happy dog. Can he not stay in the house with you and go on walks instead of staying in the yard?

I am not sure what is best for your dog but best of wishes in whatever decision you do make.

3. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

I agree with 3dogs.... that's a decision you'll have to make. I would never post an opinion to your question without knowing EVERY single detail... and, again, it would JUST BE AN OPINION. I think that decision is very personal, and thus very YOURS.

Good luck... and give Lightning some extra hugs from all of us on the Auspet board! :kiss_puppy:

4. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

hmmm.....I don't remember the original post. I can't give my oppinion. Sorry.

5. honeybears

honeybears New Member

If he is otherwise healthy - I would say no. i would try to rehome him in an environmetn where noises arent an issue or chekc with your vet about dugs that may calm him. not usre if that is a good idea because of his age.

honeybear

6. qwertyhimself

qwertyhimself New Member

Thank you all for your suggestions, he is healthy but Im just not shure if he is in pain or not, I mean wouldnt it hurt to have all your teeth broken? It just seems like he is miserable, but then again he seems to like what he does alot.

7. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

IS it just me ?
    Am I reading between the lines or just to dumb to figure out what was said ? Teeth could have and may still be fixed and the fence problem could be corrected I would think. Half his day in the garage seems very wrong to me. I did not read any other post written but it seems like you are looking for a way out of your responsibilities, I don't know how long you have had him but if he has spent his life in the garage I feel for him.Just have him put down and go on to the next dog much like the people across from where I live. My Kira (female Pyr) is 9 and has real bad hips and teeth, degenerating bone disease and her a bad nose also. Some days are hard for her and she hurts but I give her meds and rub her hips and help her up and outside. She is happy and plays some days, so does that mean I should have her put down ? I THINK NOT .If I am missing something here please fill me in, but as I see this post it looks as if it is a way to meet what the owner wants not what is best for the dog.Oh my wife has bad hips and a bad knee so I guess I should just have her put down.

2pyrs :?

8. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

2pyrs,
    If I am remembering his original post right, his dog is a master escape artist. There was also something with the neighbors setting off fireworks which terrify his dog and he has injured himself quite a few times getting out. Hopefully I am remembering the right post if not sorry.

9. qwertyhimself

qwertyhimself New Member

2pyrs, I think you misunderstood me which is ok but heres what I think you may have missed on my previous posts. My dog is 12 years old, and he has injuries that Im not shrue can be fixed, Im not saying he is in terrible pain, but his teeth are all grinded down to nothing from so much chewing. Yes he is a very good escape artist, he can get out of our gate no matter what we do to it, even an electric collar. He has already broke out once, and being a part Rodesian R. He but a neighbor who threatened to sue us. So we have been on our toes in trying to keep him in but ususally the only way we can do that is by keeping him in the garage. That and combined with the fact that he is old and is possibly in pain I just dont know if its worth spending alot of money to keep him around another year. Thanks alot.

10. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

qwertyhimself: This is only my personal experience and opinion. I had three old dogs ranging from 13yrs to 17yrs that passed within a two year span. I know when they get old, they have a tendency to get a little senile just like people. They started throwing up, peeing on the floor,everything they didn't normally do. My one dog, like yours always hated firecrackers and fireworks. She once tried to claw a hole in the sheetrock just to get away from the sound. When she got old, she lost her hearing, so she didn't hear it any more. My point is, when you have a pet, we should be committed to them till the very end. To me your dog seems to be fairly healthy if he can escape his yard and he can still hear fireworks. Find a safe place for him, not the garage, where he's safe while you're gone. A bedroom, laundry room, some place where he can sleep and be safe until you get home. If he hears sounds, put a radio in with him so he can't so easily hear firecrackers. I loved my dogs till the very end. I hated to let them go. I believe they tell you with their eyes when it's time to let them go. In the mean time, you just have to have tolerance and make a few concessions.

11. ZenasMom

ZenasMom New Member

I agree with loves-da-pits! If your dog is healthy enough to do all of that, I think you should do what you can for your dog! Dogs are a life-long commitment. When you get a dog, you know that you have to care for it until the very end! I hope everything works out for you and your dog. Hope to hear that you found an alternate place to keep your dog during the day so it can be happy and live out it's years!

12. klf

klf New Member

HERE'S ANOTHER THING TO THINK ABOUT...SETTITIVES. PLEASE FORGIVE MY SPELLING! YOU KNOW DRUGS EITHER THEY BE NATURAL OR HOLISTIC. THIS COULD HELP WITH ALL OF YOUR DOGS BEHAVIOR PROBLEMS. GO TO OUR VET OR TO A HOLISTIC VET AND LOOK AT OTHER ALTERNATIVES IF YOU REALLY WANT TO ALLOW HER TO LIVE OUT HER LIFE WITH PEOPLE SHE KNOWS. ONE THING IS A FACT OLDER DOGS DO NOT FIND HOMES EASILY. IF YOU LOVE HER, LIKE YOU DO BECAUSE YOU WOULD HAVEN'T TRIED SO HARD TO KEEP HER THIS LONG THEN TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT. AS FOR THE TEETH THEY CAN BE PULLED IF THEY GET TOO BAD. IF SHE NEEDS TOYS TO SHRED THEN I WOULD ORDER PLUSH ONES FROM A PLACE LIKE PETEDGE.COM GET 100 OF THEM FOR 75 CENTS TO $2.00 EACH. EASIER ON YOUR DOGS TEETH, JUST MESSY! ONLY YOU CNA MAKE THIS CHOICE BUT THIS IS JUST ANOTHER THOUGHT. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU AND YOUR BELOVED PET!

13. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

qwertyhimself

Ok I see what you are trying to decide. There is know easy answer to your problem it is something we all have to face one day and to tell you the truth know one can give you and answer it is something you have to take care of yourself as hard as it is to do. I ask this does your pet show signs of being in pain. Shaking, tears, does not respond to his name, does not eat much or drink much, cries when getting up ? Consider talking to your vet about pain management it does not cost that much to see if he starts to move around more. His teeth well soft foods and be careful not to give him to cold a water bowl.
    I know the Rhodesian Ridgeback had one some years back and she lived to be 16 years old.
    They are very dedicated to there owner and need a lot of room to run. We had a 4' foot fence and that was a joke. I made a run for her that was 6' x 10' x 10' with a top chain link and a lock on the gate. I made it a point to take her twice a week out for a run. As with many breeds there are something's you can not change in them and the Rhodesian has to be able to unwind. You can't take a pointer and train it not to point, you can't take Pyr and teach it not to guard the flock. I lost my father a few years ago and I did all I could to help him because I loved him and I love my dogs know less. But when the time comes to let go you well know as I did with my father.

2pyrs

14. Lesleyanne

Lesleyanne New Member

I have had several dogs and would do anything for them. One like yours was an escape artist. I spent a fortune on fences to keep her in but nothing could. She escaped one day and was killed on the road, even though I had done everything I could think of, I still felt guilty. I now have a 13 year old dog who is not in the best of health but still enjoys life on medication. Like a previous post I think you know in your pet's eyes when the time has come. My opinion is if you love the dog you have had for 12 years try some of the suggestion in the posts. Nothing is more final than death!

15. ILoveGreatDanes

ILoveGreatDanes New Member

Why not just keep him inside? Worried you might have to vacuum a little bit of hair?

16. qwertyhimself

qwertyhimself New Member

Haha, well dont get me wrong, he has a nice place in the garage, its not like it is a cramped up hot horrible place, he ALWAYS gets in our landry baskets lol, and he has pillows and alot of room, so he is alright there, he likes it alot. The last time we let him in and he got panniced because of fireworks, he chewed up my door really bad, and shredded the carpet with his paws. However he still finds time to occasionaly open our sliding glass door for himself when we arent home, and get on my bed. =\

17. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

Fire works year round ? Can't do that here. Law here is you can not set off fire works at any time even on the forth. Are there not laws where you live ? I know how you feel about your dog we go threw it with our Jack (Sassy), she shakes from head to toe but my wife lays on her side and puts here by her bad back in bed.
    If I seemed harsh in my past post I am sorry but it just did not come out looking correct in your wording.The garage is not a bad place if it is all you have, but I feel all dogs need the fresh air and the room to run and play. It's your dog and you know what is best and safe for him know one else. I always look at advise like and apple, tastes good but look out for the worm when you take that last bite.

2pyrs :wink: