1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

is this a good stocking list for a 20g high?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by fishdude, Aug 27, 2004.

1. fishdude

fishdude New Member

the tank has good filteration, well planted and well airated.
    these are what i have already:
    8 neons
    8 gold medakas
    4 black neons

these are what i want:
    2 corys( leoperd and shzwartz(spelling?)
    1 pair of rams(blue)
    1 pair of dwaf goramis
    2 male guppies
    and maby a bristlenose catfish

would this be over stocked?

2. M_wm

M_wm New Member

technialy u are already over stalked but corys would be okay becuz most of ur fish are middle/Top fish and corrys are bottom, i dont think the rams are a good idea, or the dwarfs

3. tina1

tina1 New Member

what is a medaka? I'll ignore them for now since I have no idea what they are :lol:

From your list you could add:

gouramis, guppies and MAYBE the bristlie. The rams I can't recommend until I find out what a medaka, same for the cories and with the cories you really should try to get a group not just a pair.

4. tina1

tina1 New Member

Ok I did some research on the medakas. So I learned something new today :)

Anywho, with your current stocking I would suggest you add only the pair of dwarf gouramis and guppies. Even that is pretty heavily stocked for a 20.

5. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Just make sure u have a good filter my 20g is a bit over stalked and im fine :y_the_best:

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

With the fish you already have, I'd say you're close to being maxed out already.

I would forget about the bristle nose. It will add too much bioload and a 20 gallon would be a bit cramped for it. I also wouldn't add any rams because of the bioload and their sensitivity to water quality. The 2 cories would be pushing it. 2 male guppies would be fine or a single dwarf gourami.

Also, keep in mind overfiltering a tank will not solve all problems associated with overstocking. Normal filtration does not remove nitrAtes. The only practical way to do that is via water changes. The more overstocked your tank is, the more water changes you have to do to keep it at a safe level. Idealy, you shouldn't have to do water changes more than once a week in order to keep your nitrAtes below 20ppm.

-Chelle

7. fishdude

fishdude New Member

i do twice a week 25 percent water canges in which i clean the filter out.
    Ofish said it was alright.
    i said maby the bristle nose.
    so how about:
    4 black neons
    8 medakas
    8 neons
    2 corys
    2 dwafe goramies
    2 rams

at the moment i have
    8 medakas
    8 neons
    4 black neons
    3 corys
    1 upside down catfish
    but im setting up another tank so some are moving out.

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

If you're already doing 25% water changes twice a week and you plan on adding all those other fish, you're probably going to have to up it to 3 or 4 times a week.

-Chelle

9. fishdude

fishdude New Member

oh sorry i didnt mention that i do the water changes because the filter gets cloged quikly. the medium in it is very fine and theres just a few tiny holes so the medium only gets dirty near the holes and that slows the curent of water in 3 days.
    dont know what the nitrats are but al the fish are healthy and i havent had any deaths scince my ph balenced.