1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Just got a Betta

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by cosmicpixie, May 31, 2005.

1. cosmicpixie

cosmicpixie New Member

I am a teacher and I just purchased a Betta for the classroom of Pre-Kindergarteners. He has a nice tank (3 gallons, I think) with a filter and some plants. I've had Bettas before while I was in college, but I really want my students to enjoy the experience of having a pet fish. I'm not exactly understanding the "lingo" here. What is a cycle? How much light should he be getting? Can I add another aquatic animal with him like a snail? Is three gallons sufficient (remember though he's in my classroom and space is limited)? Any and all help is greatly appreciated! I want to make this an experience for my little students they won't forget.

Ms. Tracie

2. :o)rosie:o)

:o)rosie:o) New Member

This site will tell you all you need to know about cycling your tank-http://flippersandfins.net/Cycling.htm. As far as I know 3 gallons is fine and Im pretty sure you could add a small sanil of some sort (I've never owned a Betta before so I may be incorrect). Again, as far as I know, there is know certain amount of light that your Betta will need. If the tank gets a lot of light all the time, it may deveope a problem with aglgae, so dont have the it in a spot wear there is constant sun. Hope some of my info was correct :wink:

3. tyler_medeiros

tyler_medeiros New Member

you can have about 3 mystery snails. I have a 2 gallon with a betta and 2 snails.

4. sleeper

sleeper New Member

But would you really want 3 mystery snails in your tank? Those bad boys take up more space than it seems and they produce lots of waste (I presume your tank is unfiltered).

I know fro experience, snails look cool, but they just kind of gum up the works in smaller tanks...

5. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

sleeper she does have a filter and plants
    i think 1 or 2 would be fine

6. cosmicpixie

cosmicpixie New Member

I think I'm just going to get one mystery snail. Are there different varieties or is there just one kind of mystery snail? If there are different varieties which one would be best for our little Charlie (yes the kids called him Charlie)? Thanks everybody for your help.

7. Hooben

Hooben New Member

Your betta should be fine in a 3 gallon. The term cycle is reserved for tanks with filters and does not apply to your betta. He will be fine with a water change like every week or two. Try to feed it pellets, I think they prefer that to flakes. Maybe just 2 or 3 pellets per feeding would be enough. They sell pretty cool mini lights that you can use on bowls now.
    I don't know much about snails except that they eat and also need to be fed.
    Good luck and take care!

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

For my apple snails, I throw in about 2 or 3 spirilina pellets (or 1 algae waffer) per snail once a week. I also have some java moss in there that they munch on.

For my bettas, I give them 3 betta pellets each twice a day. Most bettas don't really like flake food, but if yours eats it then just a few flakes once or twice a day.

-Chelle

9. cosmicpixie

cosmicpixie New Member

We have been feeding him pellets. He's doing quiet well. We were just wondering about a black or gold mystery snail? I think that's what they are called. Also I've just been giving a job teaching Special Education at another school. What is a good way to transport Charile to the new school?
    Thanks in advanced!

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Mystery snails are fine (I have a couple in with my betta).

For transporting him, you could just use a large plastic bag or a plastic container (that has never been touched by chemicals ore detergents) with a lid.

-Chelle