1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Just venting

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by vene, Jun 5, 2004.

1. vene

vene New Member

I just had a phone call from my mom and she said "don't let your cats out or they'll bring home diseases to your baby." I'm so sick of hearing that and I told her so. Of course it doesn't do any good. She says the same thing every time she calls. I don't think she know how many cats I have or what their names are or if they are indoor only or indoor/outdoor cats. This is the same mom that let the front door wide open last July when Venus burst out and got killed by a car. This is also the same mom that grew up with multiple cats on a farm. And the same mom that told me to "get rid of the cats" when my baby was born so he won't get any allergies. Little does she know that infants that are exposed early to multiple cats are less likely to be allergic to cats and develop a strong immunity to lots of other things. I admit my kid had early mild cat allergy (hives upon contact with fur/dander), but not anymore. Having 4 cats around really made him tougher and is also teaching him to be a better person around animals/people.

Ok guys, thanks for listening, I feel better now. It's too bad I can't scream or explain anything to my mom. She won't understand it. :x

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

my mother is horrible with those old wives tales...baby with cold feet/hands belly ache, can't take a bath while you have your period of the cramps will kill ya, cats suck the breath out of a baby while they are sleeping, etc.....the list goes on and on and on.

I'm the middle daughter, the rebel, and I refused to listen to any of them 8)

Just grin and nod when your mother is offering her "advice" write it all down and share with your kids in 20 years :y_the_best:

3. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

I know people debate on the letting the cats outside situation (do you let them?) but I do have to say with your situation... I grew up with cats and they went in and out as much as they pleased. I never once got sick from them. I think your mom is just being very sensitive for whatever reason. But, I grew up assuming everyone let their cats out. I don't do it now because I live in the city... but I think it's a situational thing and up to the owner.

And you are right about allergies. I've heard countless news stories on how having pets as a kid helps you not develop them. I have friends who never had animals as kids and they ended up being allergic as adults when they tried to get a pet.

But, if your mom is like mine... she just worries. My mother has 5 grandkids (none from me, though) and she dotes all over those kids even if they just walk out of the room.

So, I guess your mom is being a mom. And, you're being her kid!
    I honestly understand your vent, though!

4. vene

vene New Member

Mary- I like the grin + nod part. I guess I'll just listen to my mom with one ear and let out senseless advice with the other ear. So you're a middle child. I bet you got away with lots of stuff! My middle brother did! How many siblings do you have?

Lucidity03- My mom is silly. She's afraid of cats. She thinks they have special psychic powers both good and bad. I have 4 cats and Milo is the only one allowed outside. He's got too much of the restless and hunter gene in him to keep him indoors. Letting him out 1-2 hours during the day keeps him very happy. He's smarter than Venus so I trust him to not get hit by a car. He loves hanging out by the house.

Thank you both for your inputs!

5. blaklilac

blaklilac New Member

Just one more person who can relate...I am also a middle/rebel kid, and my mother also sometimes gives bad advice concerning my furry babies. I can't rail too much on her though, she does let me take strays every once in a while and pays cat bills. Bad bad advice story though: I refuse to let me cats stay out at night, people drive crazy after the lights go out, and I don't want my cats to get brave by the street. anyways, one freakish night Ronny ran outside after dark, I wanted to stay up all night till he got home, but my mom reassured me that one night outdoors would be ok. well, that's all it took. I woke up the next morning, and no Ronny. I found him that morning down the street. This was a while ago, but she still tells me "One night outside, blah blah" yeah right..I'd rather stay up, and walk around the neighborhood in my p.j.s.

6. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

AHHH!!!! I don't have kids yet.....but geezzz is this what I have to look forward too???

7. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

ohhhh...dont get me started.....

but i have no choice :shock: gotta add my two sense about "the mother thing"

every year my mom takes my sister and i to florida for a week of vacation. my mom has two cats that she leaves with a baby sitter that comes to stay at her home. otis had a babysitter that would come to stay with him, and my sister who has three cats, two dogs, hamster, and guinea pig that her husband takes care of. just to give you our family systems animal count. :?

my mother is totally obsessive about things. two years ago we were in florida, out to dinner like the second day there, and all day long she was obsessing about not getting a hold of her babysitter...."i hope she makes sure to empty the litter box....i hope she makes sure to give them their snack at 3pm, you know they get hungry...they are used to getting their snack at three...where is she?...and on and on. she wouldn't stop :!:

so...i said..."mom, they are just cats...they will be fine if they dont get their snacks right at 3 o'clock. now...i love cats more than anything, and so it's not like i was "dissing" (disrespecting) cats at all. oh my God...she lost it..."YOU CAT HATER...YOU CAT HATER!!!" she says to me. i'm like...."i am not a cat hater mom..." but NOOO-OO. she wouldn't have anything to do with that. wouldnt let me up. so...i walked out of the restaurant for a 40 min. time out.
    pretty juvenile, huh? :roll:

oh...and i am the "rebel" too...youngest....aka "scapegoat"

8. vene

vene New Member

Blacklilac + Lynn - You are both lucky that your moms love cats. I'm so sorry about Ronny. We used to stay up all night waiting and calling for our Vene to come home.

LOL Samsintentions. You'll get your share. Just kidding. You probably have a great mom. I just hope that when my son grows up, I won't be giving him bad advice.