1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

k9 advantix, YIKES! + lawn beetle remedy rofl!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by kyles101, Sep 26, 2006.

1. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

i dont normally put flea prevention on kuma anymore, i just bath her each week yadayda. recently she had problems with ants biting her and the vet suggested trying advantix in the hopes of repelling the ants. i put a dose on her last night and within 30 minutes she was itching like crazy. i washed it off her immediately and this morning she is quite itchy and cant stand to be touched in that area. it should wear off after a day or 2 and im not going to use to advantix again.

anyway, my mum mentioned to me this morning that a pile of lawn beetles had come up to the surface of the backyard lawn and died. she thought it was really strange that it happened in one area. then it clicked, thats where i washed the advantix off! i couldnt believe that even when highly diluted, it was killing big lawn beetles! i thought this stuff was only strong enough to kill fleas etc. scary. no wonder kuma reacted to it! im even questioning using advantage on my cat now :? i didnt realise it was THAT strong.

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

K9 Advantix is different than Advantage - Advantix is highly TOXIC to cats and shouldn't even be used on a dog that lives with cats.
    I only used it once after my Sadie had a surgery and we didn't want to risk any problems with a bug bite. Other than that one time I wouldn't use the stuff at all.
    Advantage works for fleas, Advantix is strong enough to kill just about any insect or cats. Stuff scares me

3. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

:shock: Oh my! I use K9 Advantix. I switched over when my Frontline stopped working. I've been happy with it - the dogs haven't had any reactions and no fleas or anything. But I do have a cat! I didn't put it on the cat of course, but I never thought it could hurt him just by putting it on the dogs! Ugh. I guess I'll just add this to my list of things to worry about. :roll:

4. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

the one time I used it my vet cautioned me strongly about the cats being even near Sadie...they never bothered w/her so it wasn't a concern. Even the website (Bayer) states it should't be used around cats

5. Sara

Sara New Member

NO dog flea or other insect guard should be used on cats ever no matter what brand. They are different types of chemicals and all dog insect stuff like flea collars etc is toxic and can send cats into deadly seizures.

Sara

6. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

LOL. That's so true, Eliza. The list just keeps getting longer. :?

7. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

yeah i know about the cat thing. after i put it on i had to watch my cat like a hawk and chase her away from kuma. she thought i was mad :shock: i was so glad once i washed it off. i just cant get over how strong it is. i would have diluted it over 500 times and it was still enough to kill lawn beetles!