1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Kitten cant eat

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by jontoddvandan, May 28, 2004.

1. jontoddvandan

jontoddvandan New Member

A cat that got dumped had 3 kittens in my shed outside, and their about 3 to 4 weeks old, the mom cat is now friendly with us, we take the kittens out to handle them and get them use to humans so we can give them away. 2 of that cats are pretty big now and look really good, but one is really small, their pus looking stuff around his eyes and leaking a little and he has a hard time to stand up and his fur doesnt look very thick. when their feeding the other 2 push him off and so he doesnt get to eat really and he has a hard time finding the nipple. i dont think he is going to live if this continues what should i do? im thinking of buy formula and a bottle and just feeding it myself. pls help

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

might have an upper respiratory infection and MOST DEFINITELY needs antibiotics - that would be my first wonder. Call your vet and see if they will give you a liquid antibiotics. Probably can't breathe well enough to nurse. You could get some KMR and feed him with an eyedropper - very slowly. Another thing you can do to perk him up is put a teeny bit of either honey or karo syrup on his tongue. That will give him enough energy to eat (from the eyedropper). In an emergency condensed milk (nonsweetened) will work too - just not long term. I was able to nurse a really sick 2 week old kitten back to health last year (foster kitten) who was fading fast with a URI. Takes lots of feeding cause they can't eat much. A heating pad (with a towel over it) set on low would be good to use while you are feeding the kitten...gotta keep its body temp. up. Or a hot water bottle (again with a towel over it).

3. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

WHy didn't you take them to the vet at the first sign of illness or that something was wrong?

I suggest taking him. Respiratory problems in a young kitten could be fatal. THey are tiny and need special care. He's probably the runt, and might have some other health issues.

4. rachek

rachek New Member

I would suggest you take it to the vet. It could have worms and it's pittiful seeing them slowly die of starvation, if you don't get them medical attention by then. Also, I had to take one my kittens to the vet recently due to an illness it also had pus in it's eyes. The vet said that if left untreated the kitten can go blind. I know it's going to cost some money, but it's really going to help the kitten.

5. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi Jontoddvandan. I just wanted to welcome you to Auspet. I also agree about taking the kitten to the vet. I sure hope the kitten will be okay. Please keep us posted.

6. fleafly

fleafly New Member

At 3-4 weeks they can eat soft and maybe hard kitten food. They shouldn't need formula, but you can mix it with soft food for them. He may be sick, or he may be losing interest in nursing and wanting to find other food options.

7. jontoddvandan

jontoddvandan New Member

Kitten Died

hey thanks for the input i ended up taking it to the vet but it was to late, i forgot what it was called but it was either some feline virus where there is nothing you can do for it or a respitory problem. either way he was having a really hard time breathing and it had to be put to sleep.

8. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

I'm so sorry you had to put the kitten down. That's so sad. :cry: At least you did the right thing by taking the kitty to the vet and it's no longer suffering. I hope the other kittens are okay. They should probably see the vet too. As well as the momma cat.