1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Kiwi lost some feathers

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Aqueous, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I just came home and took Kiwi out. I noticed that on his wings (both wings) just above his fist row of feathers there seems to be some feathers missing (you can see skin).

I've never seen him pluck his feathers and I don't think Buster's been attacking him (I've actually seen Buster groom Kiwi's feathers when they're sitting on the same perch) so I'm stumped as to what it is. He gets misted about once a week so I don't think he's irritated. Any suggestion on what it could be or what could be causing it?

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi it could be just a simple molt some birds lose more feathers than others during a molt.
    One of my cockatiels loses her flight feathers on both wings and usually all but one of her tail feathers..

Aslong as kiwi is not plucking his own feathers and buster is not pulling them out and there is no blood i would not worry to much unless he loses alot of body feathers and you can see his skin badly as this then suggests he has a skin condition or mites which will need to be treated by your vet...

Mike

3. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

:y_the_best: Thanks for the reassurance. I thought it might be a molt but usually you can hardly tell when Kiwi is molting (except for all of the little feathers flying around). The only way you can see the spot where there are less feathers is if he extends his wings fully, other than that you don't see it at all.

I'll still keep and eye on him incase it could be something else.

Poor little guy's been through a lot. I bought him at the flea market (well kind of rescued him). He was in a cage that is about 2 feet long with almost 20 other budgies. I walked around a bit and when I came back he was the only one left because he had a bad case of scaley face/feet and no one wanted him because he wasn't as pretty as the other ones. They missed out on a great bird because he's just about the friendliest bird I've ever met (although if he gets angry he's got one heck of a good bite :mrgreen: ).