1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Leaking 90 Gallon tank

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by tyler_medeiros, Jan 28, 2006.

1. tyler_medeiros

tyler_medeiros New Member

The 90 gallon tank is leaking. It was only set up for a little while(about an hour) and it started leaking around the hole drilled into the side. this is an earlier post i made of ways to seal the hole: http://www.auspet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10501
    I turned the flange around and caped it off and siliconed it but it still leaked. I drained the whole tank and re-siliconed it on the inside and outside to make sure its good and im going to try filling it again tonight. It has been curing since wednesday morning and i think it should be good. I dont get home untill after 10 tonight so it gives it almost 4 days to cure. If it leakes again what should i do. Im thinking of taking the flange right off and putting a new peice of glass on the inside but im not sure how large the peice should be or how thick of glass i should use. I have been waiting for almost a year know to set it up and im getting anxious. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Tyler and Amanda.

2. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

if it doesn't work i would replace the whole peice of glass

3. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

A piece of glass slightly larger than the hole will be sufficient. It should be the same thickness as the glass the tank is made from, probably about 3/8 inch plate glass. Be sure to scrape off ALL the silicone around the hole before trying to reseal with new silicone. Any old silicone left around the hole can create an air pocket, allowing it to leak. With any kind of patch such as this, apply the patch to the inside of the tank. With the patch on the inside, the water pressure is increasing the strength of the patch. If you put the patch on the outside the water pressure is decreasing the strength of the patch.

4. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

yes it would but replacing the whole piece would look better and there would be no leak for sure i had to replace a side on my ten gallon and it was easy

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I'm not sure if replacing the whole pane would be an option (maybe an expensive option). With odd shaped tanks, aren't the edges of the glass beveled in the areas where there's not a right angle? You'd have to get the glass custom cut not only to size, but also to get the edges beveled.

-Chelle

6. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

Very true

7. tyler_medeiros

I tried refilling it again today and it still leaked. Tomorrow or Monday im going to try and find a peice of glass about 8 inches by 8 inches and 3/8 inch thick. I Hope this works. I will keep you posted.
    Tyler and Amanda

8. tyler_medeiros

I have some of the plexi glass left over. Do you think that two peices of that laminated together would be strong enough and sufficient.
    Thanks
    Tyler and Amanda

9. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

how thick is it

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I know silicone doesn't really adhere to acrylic and isn't plexiglass acrylic?

-Chelle

11. tyler_medeiros

Nevermind the plexiglass idea i got i piece 3/8 inch glass 6 inches by 6 inches and completly covered it in silicone and put it in place. I then sealed all the way around with some more silicone.
    I hope this works this time
    Thanks
    Tyler and Amanda

12. tyler_medeiros

So I Filled up the tank and it has been cycling now for about 20 hours and with no leaks.
    I think im going to decorate it tonight and then hopefully swap the cultured gravel, the other cycled filter, the 30 gallons of cycled water, and the Blood Parrot tomorrow or friday.
    I will then wait about a week before adding the silver dollars. How long should i then wait before adding the Convict? Or should I add it before the silver dollars.
    I am hoping to have everything in the tank by the third weekend of February (17th/18th) because family is coming down and they have yet to see the tank.
    Do you think that is sufficient time for cycling?
    Thanks
    Tyler and Amanda

13. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

If you add the filter, gravel, etc from the 30 gallon, that should instantly cycle the tank. The only problem you might see is a mini cycle when you add more fish. And I think I'd probably add the silver dollars first, then the con. That way there will already be something in the tank to distract the parrot when you add the con.

-Chelle

14. tyler_medeiros

Does the time frame seem like it will work.
    If i wait untill february 10th to add the dollars and then add the Convict on the 16th would that be enough time to go through the mini cycle.

15. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Yeah, I think so. A lot will depend on how big the fish you're adding are, though.

-Chelle

16. tyler_medeiros

The silver dollars are all about an inch. The convict is about two inches.
    Tyler and Amanda

17. tyler_medeiros

Got everything from the 30 Gallon into the 90 tonight and everything looks good. I think i may get the silver dollars this weekend.
    I did a test about 3 hours after it was set up and it was:
    amonium - 0.0
    nitrites - 0.1
    nitrates - 5
    ph - 7.5
    Everything seems to be doing ok. i will test again in the morning to see if anything happens
    thanks
    Tyler and Amanda

18. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Sound good. :y_the_best: The main thing is to just watch the water params after you add new fish. With them being so small, though, I don't imagine you'd have much of a mini cycle.

-Chelle

19. tyler_medeiros

i tested the water again today and it was the exact same as yesterday.
    tyler and Amanda