1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Leaving my dog with a sitter

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by cosmicpixie, Dec 8, 2005.

1. cosmicpixie

cosmicpixie New Member

Hello all,
    Due to the increase cost of flying with our dog we've decided to have her stay with a sitter this year when we fly to Ohio. She's actually staying with a close family friend with two kids. Someone she's already acquainted with. I am, however still concerned about seperation anxiety. On her part and mine. What are some ways we can help ease her anxiety? In the whole two years, thus far, that she has lived with us we have not left her for more than a day trip. Is it okay to give her items that smell like us? And would it help that the ferrets are going with her? How can I ease my anxiety? I think I'm more stressed than she is. :wink: Thank in advance for everyone's help!

Maya's mom

2. myshihpoo

myshihpoo New Member

Do you mind if I ask how much it costs to fly her? (were you flying her in cargo or in cabin?)

My dog has sep. anxiety a lot too (but getting better). The interesting thing is that his "reactions" are/were always after the fact. He does "okay" when he's there at the sitters (which is usually my sisters)... except for the fact that he stares at the door! Once I get there and pick him up, I can tell he's stressed and he usually vomits a couple of times at home. :( I've talked to the vet several times and now we do TWO THINGS... he gets 1/2 a pepcid pill a day (that settles an upset tummy) and most importantly, we never drop him off at the sitter's. My sister always picks him up... that way he views her like she saved him from the lonely house, instead of the mean person who was there when I dropped him off. We found that when we do this, he doesn't wait by the door for me to return. So, in your case, that's my little bit of advice. Also, the obvious things like packing your dogs favorite toys and blankets (that would have your smell too) too! :)

Good luck!

3. cosmicpixie

cosmicpixie New Member

I didn't think of having her pick up Maya. She gets car sick so should I still have the sitter pick her up or no?

It was going to be almost 338 dollars to fly her back and forth in the cabin with us. It would be too cold to fly her in the cargo. And that includes the health certificate, tickets, and the like. Nevermind the fact that we would have to fly on a more expensive airline. Making our tickets cost more. GRRRRRR!

Thanks for the advice!

4. lil96

lil96 New Member

I think flying is 1000000x more stressful for an animal than leaving it somewhere. I think that if the sitter connects with the dog, then it will be fine. I have dogsat a lot in my life and I have had a few who the people said had seperation anxiety (one girl even said she had o change her job, so she could stay at home with him, because she was too afrai to leave him alone, hence she vrught him to me)
    anyway, it is much healthier to leave him at the sitters, flights really mess with a dogs heart. I think your pup will be fine.

5. cosmicpixie

cosmicpixie New Member

We thought the same thing too. And she already knows the sitter. She's a family friend that has been over several times. And her son is Maya's best friend. I think I'll have more problem leaving her than her leaving me. Now that I think about it, how can I ease my anxiety? :)

6. myshihpoo

myshihpoo New Member

I haven't found the secret to "that" yet! :) I'm alwaysss a nervous wreck when we leave our dog too! I'll even call to talk to him... or see if he went "potty" like normal...lol :)

7. cosmicpixie

cosmicpixie New Member

I imagine I'll be calling everyday to check on her. Not to mention the annoyingly long this is how you take care of my dog list. I'm glad she staying with a family friend though, she'll be much more understanding.

8. myshihpoo

myshihpoo New Member

OOOOOOOOH! We do the lists too... but I'm such a freak, I make them as "Dear Sitter" letters from Bailey! LOL.... I think it's cute, but I think my sister thinks I'm a frrrrrreak.

How long are you going to be gone? The longest I've been away from my baby is three nights... I can't handle any more than that. :(

9. cosmicpixie

cosmicpixie New Member

I'll be gone from the 20th-31st. Its a long while, but I think she'll be okay. I'll probably cry like crazy, but I think I can make it. Especially knowning she'll be with my friend. Her son called me tonight and asked if I could make sure I bring Maya a blankie since she'll be sleeping in his room. He's so excited.

10. myshihpoo

myshihpoo New Member

oh wow.. THAT IS a long time! :( Once she gets over the initial shock, it sounds like Maya will have a great time with them. That's so sweet about her son :) :)

11. cosmicpixie

cosmicpixie New Member

I'm typing up the do's and don't's of my pets. This includes Maya's three ferret sibilings. And its already 5 pages. And I haven't even gotten into the in case of an emergency section. Lol. I never realized just how overprotective I am. We're even picky about her treats. They have to call us and preapprove the snacks before the give them to her, if they are not the one's we've sent. And we're sending out the precise amount she can have the entire time we're gone. Man, I've turned into one of those parents.