1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a horse.

Discussion in 'Horses - all breeds / types' started by ryokitokiri, Jun 26, 2004.

1. ryokitokiri

ryokitokiri New Member

Hi everybody, I was hoping to buy a horse when I move next spring, and I am a begainner for horses, and if anyone could tell me what kind of horses I should be looking at and ages, I am 5"9 and I weigh about 120 lbs. I was wondering if I should get and Arabian or a Paint. I might be getting property around 5 acres, and could someone tell be what the monthly cost of owning a horse would usually be. And what brushes or blankets, etc. or am I getting ahead of myself??? PLEASE HELP!

2. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

If you are a beginner, I would not get an Arabian. They are very high-strung. Paints are great, as well as quarterhorses.

There was a post about getting a first horse, here is the link:
    http://www.auspet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2269

That should answer a lot of the questions about cost. Very expensive.

Another thing, horses really need a companion. They are herd animals and do not like being alone. They really shoujld be with other horses, or at least a donkey or something. Just something else to think about.

I usually recommend that someone who is new to horses should first get a horse and board it at a stable where you can learn and have help taking care of them.

3. ryokitokiri

ryokitokiri New Member

I have plenty of time to learn because I am not going to get one right when I move, I should realy think about the cost though I don't think my parents will have that much money just to go to one animal! I realy want one because they make me happy and if anyone could help with books about caring and supplies I need that would help or some web sites thanks

4. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Look into a rescue group like LSER.org. There are alot of horses that would do very well in a single horse family.

I would suggest taking some riding lessons. Its a general rule of thumb that it takes $50 a day to own a horse. You will need burshes, broom, combs, blanket for inside, turnout blanket, buckets, hoses, barn with an appropriate stall, a good fitting saddle and blanket pad, and a very reliable vet.

I suggest you look into some of the Growing up baby, raising yearlings, and general care of horses books. I have many also.

For a first horse, you need to look around. Looking at rescue groups is a great way to find your perfect first horse. I know alot of the horses aren't abused, they are donated to the rescue organization either, because they dont' want them anymore, or can't care for them any more. I'll list some good first ones for you to look at.

Your going to want to find a horse that is already broken and trained to ride in your intrest, wether it be drassage, western, pleasure, or english.

Where are you from. I can probably help you locate a good one.

5. horse_child

horse_child New Member

What I suggest is either right now or after you move, start taking lessons at a local barn. If your parents don't want to pay for them, I suggest you talk to the barn manager to see if you can mcuk stalls or scrub buckets of longe horses for him/her. I do this and I get plenty of money to pay for my lessons. I then suggest you lease a horse. Leasing is just like owning, except for you don't really own it and after your lease is up, it goes back to the real owner. I leased a 25 year old appy gelding and it was one of the best things that happened to me. Also, when looking for a horse ask an expirienced friend to come along. then when you are prepared to buy the horse have a reliable vet check him. If it doesn't work out, it will hurt alot less now then later. Also, keep your mind open to different possibilities. I didn't want anything under 6 years old, had to be 15.3 or over, and anything but a blue roan. Well...I got a 3 year old blue roan that is 15.1. and he is the highlight of my day. :eek: good luch :!:

6. ryokitokiri

ryokitokiri New Member

I am in MI right now, I don't think there is a barn local around here. I am going horse back riding in a couple weeks with my family. When I was bored one day I went and looked through my phone book but I can't remember what there was, all I remeber was there was a tack shop. On another post someone said it was $50 day also. That just seems too much to me.
    I think it is a good idea to lease a horse first before you by one, but about the working there to make money for the lessons I am not old enough to work anywhere.
    If anyone has a good source that can help me find someplace close to where I live then thanks.

7. I believe the best place to find a horse is to look at local rescues and boarding places. Happy Trails!!

8. horse_child

horse_child New Member

Hi,
    I'm 14 and I've been working at the stables I board at since I was 11 or 12. Even though I'm not legally old enough, I still do, because all the other kids that are legal don't work, they only ride and just do enough to get by. I'm going to leave my location anoymous, so lets just say where I live is pretty remote. :wink:

9. OTTB lvr

OTTB lvr New Member

Hey, good for you, horse_child! it's nice to see more dedication :) i hate people who think theyre above stable work, and that all there is to horses is riding :\ just because you're at a boarding facility doesnt mean you shouldnt have to do a damn thing to help out. the majority of horse care is on the ground, not in the saddle. people who don't understand that shouldnt have horses to begin with!

10. Laura05

Laura05 New Member

I still dissagree with you that it costs $50.00 a day. That would be $18,250 a year! No one pays that much for horse care... unless it needs surgery or something.

If you have pasture and don't need a constant supply of hay, you feed grain or not, it all depends on that type of stuff.

11. ryokitokiri

ryokitokiri New Member

thanks 4 all of your replies

12. sissysuresure

sissysuresure New Member

hopefully some help

i haven’t read all your replies you got so i might be repeating some of the stuff other people have already mentioned to you. arabians are high-spirited, but there are always exceptions. many arabians are still peppy in their late teens to mid twenties. paints are very docile. i know you didn't mention quarters, but their great! easy keepers and great temperament. even though you’re a beginner as you proceed on w/ your hobby you'll get more comfortable and like the majority of horse lovers, enjoy a good gallop (especially if your young!)! quarter horses are well known for their sprints. You’re fairly tall so you might want to look in the 15'2-16 and up range. although arabians and quarters are more in the 15 hand area.
    Generally a horse costs at the very most $25 a day. Even then, that would mean you'd be paying $750-775 a month which is outrages! if you board your horse at a local reasonable facility, it usually dosen't exceed $500 a month. I personaly pay about $100 a month on board and all other costs, but where i live it is inexpensive. well, let's say you pay around $17 a bail of hay (about ten flakes of hay in a bail), and feed your horse 4 flakes of hay per day, most horses live just fine off of 2-3, but if you do feed your horse 4 flakes a day you’ll need about 13 bails of hay a month. then for shoeing around $100 every 6-8 weeks, and then other things that might come up about $100 (de-worming, emergencies). BUT, if you horse is gonna be living on around 5 acres of land it could very well live just fine off of that if you rotate him/her, maybe buying an occasional bail or some grains now and again. Ok, well sorry for going on and on. I hope this has helped you in some way.
    Chriss