1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Martingale Harness?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by bullylove1, Apr 27, 2004.

1. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Okay, I have been trying to find some harness's for Harley that don't go around her throat like a collar, because she pulls so much. I was contacted by one company that said I should try a harness that people in wheelchairs use (can't find a good pic) or a martingale harness. I have tried a search for it, but can't get a pic of what it looks like and how it is supposed to fit.

Can anyone try to explain what it looks like on and how effective they are?

All help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

cant help you there, have yo tried the halty??

honeybear

3. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

I bought the gentle leader and Harley hates it. The reason I like the harness is it gives me better control over her. If she gets to rambunctius, I can pick her off the ground. She has very bad dog aggression, so I feel safer with this.
    Also, I don't discourage her from pulling, its great excercise for her, so I just need something that isn't going to constrict her throat or tighten on it.

Thanks again.

4. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

5. nern

nern New Member

I wonder if they meant a guide dog type harness? Like this:
    [​IMG]

I've never heard of a Martingale harness but the collar looks like this:
    [​IMG]

6. klf

klf New Member

Thanks for the sites! we were also looking for a harness that is not restrictive to the neck. We bought one at our local petsmart. But i don't think it will last long...thank you for the information. Anyone have a site for woven harness that are custom/or regular made we want the harness to be able to be used in the water too! I have checked out petdege and fosters smith and other mail order cat. but haven't found one we like. thanks!

7. loonyluna

loonyluna New Member

8. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Nern:
    Maybe you are right and there is no such thing as a martingale harness. Hmm, I don't know why she would have told me a collar when I specifically said I need a harness. RRR! This is more frustrating then I thought.
    I do like that guide harness though. I almost seems like the type of thing i would need. Does it help them pull with their whole body, why is it so good for guides?

LoonyLuna:
    I already have that harness (around the neck and middle) and not liking it. Though the step in harness seems like it might work too. I am looking for padded leather if possible though, and not nylon.

Thanks for all your help! If anyone can help me further, PLEASE DO!!

9. Jas

Jas New Member

Bully are you thinking of the Sense-ation harness? http://www.softouchconcepts.com/ I love the concept of this!!

While I haven't personally tried it, I have friends with Ridgebacks who use this harness with success for their critter chasin' big dogs. I plan on getting one of these to try (I think they will measure to fit also).

Cheers
    :)

10. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Jas,
    I had never seen that before. I am going to look into it. I think the right fit for Harley may be the guide harness.
    *Sigh* If only she wlaked as good as a guide dog. I guess that's why these harnesses are so tough.

I am going to keep looking around. I will probably have to buy from the US and have it shipped. I can't seem to find any retailers online in Canada.

11. klf

klf New Member

BULLY LOVE 1: DID YOU GO TO A "LOCAL" TRAINING FACILITY FOR THE BLIND? YOU MAY BE ABLE TO ORDER ONE THROUGH THEM. THE STEP IN HARNESS THAT loonyluna GAVE A LINK TO HAS A MARTINGALE STRAP SYSTEM ON THE BACK...MAYBE THAT IS WHAT THE PERSON WAS TALKING ABOUT??!! WHY LEATHER OVER NYLON? MY DOG HAS THE SAME NYLON COLLAR FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS... IT HAS A LIFETIME WARRENTY! NEVER TO TEAR, SHREAD, OR BREAK! THERE IS NO PLASTIC ON IT ONLY METAL AND NYLON...OF COURSE I PAID $45.FOR IT 5 YEARS AGO!
    i AM GOING TO LOOK TO SEE IF I CAN FIND THIS HARNESS
    loonyluna WAS SPEAKING OF. GOOD LUCK! THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE HELP!

12. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

klf:
    Thanks for the reply. I have also been suggested a sled harness.
    The reason I wanted leather was for strength and durability. I also wanted it padded so it didn't rub or irritate Harley. She is a 17 month AmStaff weighing 53# and can pull probably close to 700#. So you can imagine the time she has pulling me and my 110#. I am not against nylon at all, but she has already busted one that was double enforced with a guarantee. She was tied to a lead in my inlaws yard and forgot, she went to run and it snapped her back and broke.
    Hmm, perhaps, I should jsut start designing doggie apparel, so I can find what I want. ;) No more hobbies, must brign in money. hehe