1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Maybe get kennyi ? Any help?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Wendy, May 2, 2004.

1. Wendy

Wendy New Member

HI, Im the one with the dieing Oscar. I would love to keep oscars again. I am seeing this type alot. Is it a good one to try? How many can I get into a 55 gal. tank? Do they get Hole in the head also? I never ever want to deal with that again! Any suggestions? THANKS! Wendy kennyi :roll: :?

2. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

ummm another oscer may be fine to get, you just hve to keep using special chemicals and clean the water once a week to keep it alive

3. Wendy

Wendy New Member

HI, No ..I wont get more until this one is gone. There is no way he is going to live. Im very sad. I just need to know if the other type can get this horriable thing too! Grrr...

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

IMO, 55 gallons is a good size tank for african cichlids. That's what I have in my 55 gallon. Depending on the species and your filtration you could probably get at least 10 in there (slight overcrowding helps keep aggression down). The main thing to keep in mind when deciding what species of africans to get is stick to one lake. Although I'm sure africans can get HITH, I've never heard of one that's had it so it's probably fairly rare.

If you click HERE and scroll down towards the bottom, there's a pic of my 55 gallon Malawi tank with a list of the species and pics.

-Chelle

5. Wendy

Wendy New Member

:lol:
    I love your tanks! Is that sand on the bottom of the 55? It looks like it. The fish you ahve in there are great. I want color. Can you sugest what I can get in mine? I liek what is in your but you have uncommon HARD names .. LOL THANKS

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Yes that's sand. I like sand better than gravel because IMO it looks nicer and is easier to clean. You just have to make sure you rinse it really well before adding it to the tank.

With africans it's more common to refer to them by their scientific name rather than a common name. A lot of times people will just make up a common name and you'll end up with 5 different names referring to the same fish. Most LFS's here just carry "assorted africans" so unless you're familiar with what the species look like, there's really no telling what you're getting. But for the most part I've noticed that they tend to be from Lake Malawi so most of them should go good together.

Some of the more common species (at least they ones I see a lot) are:
    Labidochromis caeruleus - aka yellow lab, electric yellow, lemon yellow, lions cove cichlids, etc (see what I mean about the common names?)
    Pseudotropheus/Mylandia lombardoi
    Melanochromis auratus
    Pseudotropheus socolofi
    Aulonocara hybrid
    Melanochromis johanni
    Pseudotropheus aceii
    Mylandia crabro
    Melanochromis chipokae

There's probably a few more species of africans included in the "assorted" batches (including lots of hybrids), but those are the main ones I remember seeing often.

-Chelle

7. J_acon

J_acon New Member

Awesome tanks Chelle, btw where are you from?

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Missouri. A tiny little town about 50 miles east of Kansas City.

-Chelle