1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Mediem sized dogs........

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by tgiles91, Aug 9, 2004.

?

What is your favorite breed

Poll closed Aug 29, 2004.
  1. Golden Retriever

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Australian Shepherd

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Mutt

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. German Shepherd

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tgiles91

tgiles91 New Member

I am looking at different breed and I am looking for some help. Okay. I live in a 4 bedroom house with a backyard that has only one tree and is a third of an acre. I will be able to provide a good sized home and yard to an energetic dog. the this is that I don't want a dog that is too big or that sheds much. a little shedding is okay but I don't want one with long hair as I live in florida and that would be a problem. Please give me some ideas on breed and I will do some research.

2. nern

nern New Member

Goldens, Australian Shepherds and German Shepherds all shed.

Mutts are my favorite. I'm sure you could find a suitable short haired mixed breed that sheds minimally at your local humane society.

Check out petfinder:

www.petfinder.com

3. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

I have a suggestion on a dog other than the ones in your poll. I think a Greyhound would be great for you. It is low maintenance as far as grooming. No Shedding. It's not a big dog, it just has long legs which gives the appearance of being big. Your yard sounds like it would be perfect for a Greyhound. They are well mannered dogs, like excersise, but not hyper. They're lovers of all people and kids. The ones I have been associated with got along with other dogs. They are really a great dog all the way around.

Also, there's plenty of them up for adoption in Florida. If you're interested I can give you names and emails of some Greyhound Adoptions Groups in Florida.

4. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Ah a greyhound does sound perfect for you from what you have told us.
    I had a friend in Denver who had two retired racetrack Greys. They were the sweetest most well mannered dogs. IM not sure how much exercise one would require but I know my friend would run with her's everyday.

5. pyrmom

pyrmom New Member

A curly coated retriever might be what you'd like. The right size and energy level, far less trouble when it comes to shedding.

6. tgiles91

tgiles91 New Member

I put the poll up just to see what you guys liked more. My fav is the Aussie but I can't have a shedding dog like that. I already own a Maltese Poodle mix who gets along great with big dogs. One of her " friends" is a lab. I read that greyhounds skinn can tear sometimes. Thank you for all of the replies sofar. I will wait for more.

7. Angie

Angie New Member

Jack Russell Terrier? My friend has one ... shes a little on the small side but she doesnt shed much and shes very energetic.......

8. tgiles91

tgiles91 New Member

I don't think I would be ready to take on that kind of energy level. The breeder we got our dog from breed them too.

9. ChronicBlue

ChronicBlue New Member

i'd suggest a Doberman. They just so sweet, and well mannered.

10. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

If you don't want the energy level of a Jack Russell, you probably don't want the energy level of an Australian Shepherd, either! Goldens are really nice, but they do shed a lot.

I second the idea of going to a shelter and picking out a mixed breed. You can find one with short hair that matches the energy level and size and personality traits you are looking for.

11. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

I have an idea. Like Jamiya said go to a shelter, but look for a mature or Senior dog of your choice. Seniors are usually passed up for puppies.

My Brother adopted a Senior Cocker Spaniel that was approx. 9yrs old. She is retired and real happy to be a couch spud and a real companion.

My Australian Shepherd/Border Collie Sheba as she got older was knick named "Speed Bump" by everyone who knew her because all she wanted to do was lay around. She'd play a vigorous game of ball twice a day, and then took a nap for the rest of it. She did take quite a bit of grooming, though.

I still think a retired Greyhound would be great. You don't have to worry about their skin tearing, it's just as durable as any other dogs. I always thought of them as being "Polyester" because there isn't any grooming involved with them. (Just toe nails) In fact they groom themselves by licking, just like a cat.

12. Angie

Angie New Member

Pit Bulls can be really sweet.... but mine sheds a bunch of hair! :(

13. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

Go visit a local dog park if there is one in your area. I know they have some in Sarasota and Venice. There you can see a multitude of breeds and talk to the people that the dog brought to the park. I have met several dogless people at our dog park that were just observing and learning about breeds.
    Here is a link to find dog parks in Florida:
    http://www.thedogpark.com/html/search.php3

14. tgiles91

tgiles91 New Member

I thought about an American Staffy but they shed. I really want an Aussie but they shed soooooo much. Can I have some links to Greyhound sites. I will let you know how I do.

15. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

16. rudysjoy

rudysjoy New Member

Never had anything but a mutt or mixed. I really love labs though, but can't have one. Our association only will allow 20# or under. All our mutts have been great. Just a note: I'm afraid of pitbulls. I guess the news media has created a monster in me. All I have ever heard is attacks that make the news. Everyone on these sites raves about pits. I would really like to get to know one of them so I can maybe get rid of that fear. Pits are the only dog I'm afraid of. I hate having that feeling.