1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Mixing different species of birds

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Fagan, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Fagan

Fagan New Member

Hi

Please could you tell me, if u put two birds (Ringnecks) together, will they talk or will they stop?

Can you put a lorakeet in the same room as a ringneck, and will they still keep talking as they are 2 different types?

Can you keep more than one type of parrot together, one being a bigger bird than the other, in other words a lorakeet & ringneck together or will they "kill" each other.

A friend has a lorakeet, but the bird seems to have a real problem with plucking, personally i think the bird lacks undivided attention, but they have too many other birds to really give this guy attention, i would love to take him, but i don't want to if it's gonna upset my ringneck.

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

you can put different species together with no problems if there is going to be no breeding of any birds.

I used to have budgies, cockatiels, and finches in the same aviary.

I would always have a large enough cage ready just incase they did not get along, But i find most birds do.

Do not be fooled that the larger bird will hurt the smaller bird as this is not always the case.

When my budgies were in breeding mode they would attack any other bird in the aviary just to steal there nest box. I have even had a budgie kill one of my cockatiels to get her out of the nest box, So goes to show u size means nothing in the bird world.

Different bird species together usually make great companions for single birds as they have someone else to chat along to.

My cockatiels sing to my lovebird and vice versa so i would not worry about them stop singing or talking.

Sorry i could not be of more help.

Mike

3. Fagan

Fagan New Member

How do you resolve plucking

If i take care of a lorakeet which is plucking himself really badly, almost totally bald on his tummy, how would i stop him doing it, and does he do it as a habit or a nervous condition? and can you train them to stop?

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Birds usually pluck themselves for different reasons, Boredom, Mites, Stress molting and wrong diet and missing vitamins and minerals out of there diet.

Usually changing there enviroment, giving them things to do like toys having them out of the cage stuff like that usually stops there feather plucking.

If left he will actuallymutilate his own body as one there is no feathers there is only skin which he will start to chew on.

If you are going to take care of him everytime you catch him at it try and take his mind off it by talking to him.

Have him checked over by an Avian vet for mites as this is very uncomftable for birds and will drive them crazy with the constant itching.

You can break this habit in some birds but others there is just no stopping them and carry on until they are completely bald.

Mike

5. Zeppy`s mom

Zeppy`s mom New Member

I think they will defintley keep talking ,but if you don`t want them to breed then don`t keep them in the same cage . :)