1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My Betta is lying at the bottom of the tank!?! Help!!!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by mattjones21, Apr 26, 2004.

1. mattjones21

mattjones21 New Member

For the last four or five days my betta has been lying at the bottom of his tank on the back of his fin. When I feed him he swims to the top only to fall back down immediatly. I just got a new bowl that is a twice as big as his previous one. Another thing, the rocks that came with the new bowl seem to be fading quickly, think they may be releasing something into the water? Please help ASAP, I love this little guy.

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

What size are the bowls (old & new)? What is the ammonia reading for the water? How old is the betta? Does he have any other symptoms such as bloated stomach, ragged fins, white patches?

If the rocks were made for fish they should be safe, but it wouldn't hurt to remove them anyway.

-Chelle

3. Hooben

Hooben New Member

matt

Don't forget that some betttas like to relax a lot. I mean one of mine will "sit" in a plant and just look around. They don't swim unless they absolutely have to. If the betta is sitting right side up, there is that possibility. Listen to Chelle. My betta is old and likes to kick back.
    Hope everything works out though.

4. mattjones21

mattjones21 New Member

My Betta loves to relax a lot, but lately he's having trouble swimming, he tries to swim around but falls down on his back fin as soon as he gets up. He can no longer float in mid water.

The first tank was around 1/4 gallon and the new tank is 1/2 gallon. I haven't checked the ammonia levels yet, I'm going to get a kit tomorrow. He is around 3-5 years old (not positive because he was given to me by the old owner). He has none of the three symptoms you mentioned. He just can't tread water anymore. Any idea what this could be?

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

3 - 5 years is a good long life for a betta so he may just be getting old.
    Also, 1 gallon is the bare minimum recomended size for a betta (2+ gallons would be better). Otherwise ammonia will build up rather quickly. I recommend keeping a close eye on your ammonia and doing frequent water changes any time it gets even slightly above 0ppm.

-Chelle