1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

MY BIRD ATE VEGGIES!!!

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by drab911, Dec 15, 2004.

1. drab911

drab911 New Member

I put some shredded carrots and some diced tomatoes in her bowl and took ou t the seed... and she DOVE right in after a little while... haha she still have a chunk of tomato on her face....
    Im gonna make every evening veggi night and replace the seeds with veggies... MMM MMM

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Thats great news see patience is a must when introducing new things to birds..

Try not to give to much of the same veggies as she will not eat other fruits and vegtables.

Good luck.

Mike

3. drab911

drab911 New Member

Could you guys please describe how you prepare your veggis for your birds? Would it be a good idea to like blend a bunch of shit up and make like mush? Or do they like chunks... i know every bird is different just curious what you guys do..
    also I was going to pick up a box of "corn bread mix" and add some carrots etc.. good idea?

4. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

My guys like chunks. I think they get a kick out of tearing apart their own fruits and veggies.

5. drab911

drab911 New Member

Ok so... im just trying to figure out how I should do this... I am thinking of when I am at work, sleeping or not at home I will leave her food dish full of seeds... and while I am home in the mornings or in the evenings I will offer her some sort of "healthy food" Like this morning I know she is hungry cause she has not eaten all night.. and I hard boiled an egg and smashed it up with the shell and added tomato, carrot, bannana and mixed it all together,.. and she is sitting beside it she had a sniff but shes not eating it.. so I am going to wait 2 hours and not give her seed and hopefully she will eat it and then put seed in... and do this every day... does this sound like a good plan?
    Thanks a million guys! Where is everyone from anyways??

6. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I'm from Toronto.

Sometimes my guys get picky and won't eat what I give them. Maybe the mix isn't to her liking. My guys like individual fruits and veggies better than mixing them.

I aways let them have seeds even if they have fruits and veggies because if they decide that they don't want them they always have the seeds to eat. I usually leave fruits and veggies in for about an hour and a half to two and then take them out and try again later if they don't want them.

7. drab911

drab911 New Member

ahh so its better to make it sort of "their" decision by leaving the seeds in there i guess eh...
    so you will just put like 1" chunks of like apples and carrots etc? Or do you just put all apples and all carrots another time?

8. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi i give diced fruit and vegtables.

My birds have a seed dish and an extra 2 dishes in the cage one has different vegtables chapped up and the other has different fruits chopped up and they decide which ones they like...

I put them all in the cage the same time and remove any uneaten fruit and vegtables after about 2hours this way they do not eat any off food.

Mike

9. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I put in one type of veggie first and see how interested they are in it. Buster will usually eat pretty much anything but Kiwi can be really picky.

If he's not interested I take it out and replace it with a different one later.