1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

my dog hurts and i can't tell where he hurts

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by klf, Apr 4, 2004.

1. klf

klf New Member

Do any af ya'll know the reactions a dog could have to vacs.? I worked for a vet and i can't remember!

Our dog received his shots 2 weeks ago now you can't touch his skin with out him yelping.....this doesn't occur all the time. I can't find any sores. And pain is not in one spot, it is here one min. and there the next. My dog is a lab cross and he is 6 years old. His color is good. he eats and drinks. we haven't been in the fields to get any ticks( we live in a town). I thought of lymes. He doesn't sleep any longer than normal. I'm at a loss here! :? Any ideas. I looked at his teeth, up his nose. Hi yelps when you touch his head, ears, side, back, hind end. like i said one second you touch him and he is fine the next he yelps, then he is fine again????!!!

2. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I would take him to a vet! Call your vet and describe what is going on. It could be a vaccine reaction or something else going on.

Jamiya

3. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

I was thinking possible arthritis for his back and legs. My dog has a mild case and sometimes it bothers her to touch other times it doesnt. But that doesnt explain the head and ears thing. I would check with a vet.

4. Hi! I know it's hard to dole out money to a vet but it sounds like you need to take him in. There is no way of knowing what's wrong with him without geing checked out. I'm sorry :( I hope you find out that it's nothing serious, and please keep us posted..

Good luck to you! Susan

5. klf

klf New Member

we wentt to the vet ....

:cry: I took wesley to the vet, He said it is a pinched nerve in his neck! So my Wesley is on medication(pain and anti inflamitiory)....if this doesn't help we have to put him to sleep. The jerk of a vet...who we just started to use because we moved here recently, didn't even give me directions on what to do for him! I had to ask about sairs, changing his collar to a harness, eating positions and more. When I called the main Vet to complain about this she blew it off and said your dog is 6 years old! I know that he is a very tall Lab mix but what the *uck! Should this mean all mid aged dogs shouldn't get the same quality of care as a puppy! I called my mother who works for the vet that i rescued Wesley from when he was 6 months old, she spoke to the vet and he said that there wasn't much but rest that can be done over the next few weeks, if he doesn't improve then he can remain on medication to control the pain or look at other options...be put to sleep( i couldn't put him through years of pain he has been the best dog in the world. So we have him resting, he can't understand why he has to go potty in our front yard( the back yard has steep stairs), and why i haven't taken him on a walk the last 3 days! I know he misses our 2 year old climbing all over him! I had to tell my son wesley is broke and we need to fix him before he could play again. My son replied "broke , trash?" Meaning if he couldn't be fixed we have to throw him away...I am glad he isn't old enough to really understand this like my daughter. Who has already told me she doesn't want Wesley to suffer, she loves him too much for this. I really hope it doesn't come to this so soon. His disk could always rupture causing him to be paralized. Bed rest and lots of lovings is his menu for the nest 2 weeks. Thanks for the support

6. karma

karma New Member

I know nothing about pinched nerves..... but if I were you I'd look for a second opinion at a different place, pronto.

7. klf

klf New Member

I had my mom speak to Wes's old vet who she works for and he shows classic signs. the only way you can do anything if it turns into a ruptured disk and i can't put him through the surgeries to fix that. My parents did it to 2 of our dogs, one walked and one didn't and the pain was very bad! I love him too much to put him through this.

8. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

I wish your pup all the luck in the world! I know it sucks not knowing if he can get better, I hate the waiting game. Please do keep us updated on his condition.

9. Caseysmom

Caseysmom New Member

Hi! I'm so sorry to hear about your dog :( I wish him and your family the very best! and I hope that he recovers and or at least can live without allot of pain. Please do keep us posted!

Susan

10. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Please, find a vet that does chiropractic (and acupuncture would be good, too) and get another opinion!!

Jamiya

11. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I 2nd what Jamiya said....find a vet who does chiropractic work/acupuncture. You'd be surprised - these treatments are not expensive the the results are amazing. My GSD goes to a chiropractic vet every few weeks and I pay $40/visit!!! Sadie is 10 and was born with hip dysplasia which is working its way into her spinal column....it's amazing how much this has done for her.

I would give it a try if you can - it's worth a try to save your dog's life. 6 is so young

12. I hadn't thought of that, what great advise! a second opinion and a chiropractictor who does accupuncture would probably do a great deal of good. And you have someone here that has already taken that route, so you know it can work :D

Good advise! Jamiya and Mary

Good luck to you! Susan

13. honeybears

honeybears New Member

14. klf

klf New Member

Thank you for the info wes is doing great on the medication....i am currently speaking with a people chiro. dr. and a massage theripist.
    thanks bunches!

15. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Wonderful! Let us know how he does!

Jamiya

16. klf

klf New Member

:eek: Went to vet last night....saw a different one this time! she was very helpful in answering my questions...wes is doing great....his neck seems to be healing and in a few weeks he will be back to normal! we can only walk him with a harness and no playing tug-o-war! he will need to stay on the anti-inflamitory for 3 more weeks. The neck is the thickest part of the spinal, and can heal quicker than other parts of the spine. Though there will always be chance for re-injury. we will cross our fingers!

we will still have to hold off on adopting a puppy for atleast 3 weeks, maybe i can then talk my husband into an older dog! they need homes more than puppies do!

thanks for your support!

17. honeybears

honeybears New Member

great news! :D :D

honeybear

18. Jas

Jas New Member

Hi KLF - GREAT to hear your dog is recovering!!! Thankfully you found out the problem. Did the vet say if this was caused by an impact? Did he mention Wobbler's syndrome to you at all?

I somehow missed your thread and just saw your update. I noticed you had been given some advice here about seeing a Chiropractor. I'm glad you went to a vet first, and I hope everyone does this first because using Chiropractics for this type of neck/spinal injury could have caused paralysis. People have to be careful what advice they give. (I say could have because it really depends on the injury).

Hope your progress continues!!!
    :eek:

19. klf

klf New Member

:oops: It was my fault we were playing with a 2ft long knot rope bone.....Wes likes to tuck his chin to his chest and thrash his head side to side, while we wressle with him and try to remove it! I didn't think it could be his neck because he would yelp when you touched his mouth and sides. We went on to take him for a walk/run and played ball for the next two days before going to the vet. he wouldn't yelp when we played but when he layeg down in the am. I thought of the vacs because he just got micro-chipped and our vet gave him all of his shots at once!! a big no no!!
    this can weeken the immune system and make your dog sick...to touch even. this was my reason for asking about the vacs. i just couldn't remember! Thanks!

20. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

You are correct in your caution, Jas - which is why I recommended a VET that does chiropractic and acupuncture. An experienced vet should know when to use these modalities and when to NOT use these modalities. And since the alternative was having him PTS, you don't have a lot to lose at that point.

I'm so glad to hear he's doing better! My husband plays tug with Nala that way - I will have to tell him to stop (and get the "rolling eyes" look from him - again).

Jamiya