1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My dog is toooo noisy.

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by senzafine, Apr 7, 2004.

1. senzafine

senzafine New Member

My bichon frise is almost a year old, and everytime he sees someone walk across the street or he sees someone outside our house he goes crazy and runs around the house barking at them. If he's sleeping and he hears someone yelling outside he'll growl and run around the house again barking.

Is this normal? He's soooo noisy! It's not fun when he's doing it at 3 in the morning. :x

2. winnie

winnie New Member

hi...i am sorry i have no advice for you...my puppy barks at people on the street when we walk...im no sure why...hopefully somene else vcan give you some helpful advice...has he been doing this ever since you got him or is thi a new thing?

3. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

My poms bark at everything, the leaves, a fly, a car riding by. Unfortunatly I have found no way to stop them. I tell them no when they start up in the middle of the night after I have checked to make sure there is no real problem and they seem to do ok with this. I will say they have calmed down in recent months. They are trying to protect their property I think and EVERY THING alarms them. Good luck with your little baby!

4. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

Our Jack is the same way very territorial, we found that certain sounds stop her, like blowing on a pop bottle. As for my pyrs we have one of those tubs you swing around that make a funny noise, the ones kids play with. Got it at dollar store. My Pyrs like to talk to the dogs that bark a mile away from our home. If all else fails we us the hose or water gun. They say dogs that bark a lot are bored with them selves. I don't know if this is true or not but I know if I play and walk them more they seem to be more quite to me. I do fine it fascinating that little dogs seem to bark more and at things that seem to of no threat. We try to keep it down for people around us. You just have to love the ones that holler at our dogs making them bark even more,or ones like the guy next door to me that feels he can work on his cars making them roar all day into the night or the lady who comes home decides to cut her grass at 9:00/10:00 at night or 7:00 in the morning on a Sunday. But God for bid my dog barks.I even have one that hates the birds singing in the morning. Life is such fun

2pyrs :lol:

5. puggleowner

puggleowner New Member

Whenever Cameron hears a doorbell on tv or what she thinks is a knocking on the door she goes nuts doing this little growl noise and barking and parading around the house, but if someone actually walks through the door she either showers them with love or runs away scared, depending on the person and how she percieves them. I think it's a normal instinct for dogs to want to "guard" their territory-- I wouldn't worry about it, though I know it can be annoying!!! We are trying to work on a "no bark" command with Cameron-- somedays are better than others! :mrgreen:

6. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I was told once that if you put something on command, it goes away unless you give the command. For instance, teach a dog to "speak" and random barking goes away. I have never tried it, but if anyone does let me know if it works!

Jamiya

7. puggleowner

puggleowner New Member

Hmmmm.....that's an interesting idea, Jamiya- maybe we will try that....

8. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

My small dog Nana is a big barker. She will bark at everything, and even at non existent things. She once nearly had a heart attack because a plastic bag was blowing her way. She barks at everything before investigating it.

Now on the other hand, Laika is not a barker. She will only bark to get off the bed or the couch, but nothing else. I wish it were the opposite, for the smaller dog to be quiet and the soon to be bigger dog barking. Lol, but i love them either way, and Nana's barking doesnt really bother anyone in the house anymore. I think we have all just learned to tune her out.

But if you dont like for your pup to be a barker, here is what we used to do:

When Nana would bark alot we would startle her and say 'shhh' and praise her for being quiet. Now, all we have to do is say shh, and she will stop and come running over to be petted. She is a big ham

9. senzafine

senzafine New Member

Well I'm glad i'm not the only one with the problem!

We seem to have it a tad bit under control though, when we yell at him Dodo knows we don't want him barking.

The weirder part is unlike other dogs who howl when a fire truck comes by Dodo just stares at it. :shock:

10. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Its normal. He is protecting you by alarming you of the danger lurking outside :? Which if your dog does not know them, he thinks they are bad. Keep telling him quiet. as they get older they kind of fine tune it, to just people on your property and to dogs and or cats walking by. It seems the more you take them out on your block the less they have to worry about. Let your dog meet neighbor dogs if they are friendly and more than likeley they won't bark , but if they do it will be a different sounding bark. A I want to see such and such my friend.

11. goob

goob New Member

Jamiya's idea about teaching a dog to bark on command seems to work well for a lot of dogs (I gave it a try with a couple of ours, but with multi dogs, once one gets going , the others will follow, then another will start the chorus back up again, so it's hard to shut them up). I have at least one dog (Goo) sleeping in my room every night, sometimes one or two others as well (Annie and Haley). I do NOT tolerate barking, fighting, or any other noisy things from them when I go to bed, and any dog that starts is quickly shuffled out to the hallway for the rest of the night. It's quite effective, I'd say it took maybe 3 or 4 times before they got the message.

During the day, we have squirtbottles all around the house, when any of them barks about something, I let them go for about 10 seconds, then give a command for them to stop, and if they don't they get squirted.

12. klf

klf New Member

barking dogs

I taught my Wes the speak command also. Now the only time he barks is when we go on a walk without him! Another thing to try is a collar that has a spray that is activated each time your little one barks! Just spritzes them to break the thought process in your pooch. :roll: I don't like the shock collars for barking. [-X High strung pup breeds like yours can freak out by these. My in-laws have had many Bichons, they love them and all barked! Are you home with him? this type of dog needs people around them all the time. try taking him to work...if they will let you. Bichons love all the attention from socialization. Best of luck!

13. Jody

Jody New Member

Jasper has two types of barks, when she knows that somebody is lurky around the yard or the neighbours are to noisey, she will go nuts in which I know that somebody is outside.
    She will growl when there are other animals around that are in her yard of a night time, and when she yelps when sleeping in side, she needs to go outside to the toilet.
    To this day i cannot remember teaching her this, so she must of taught herself. BUt it works wonders......

Jody

14. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Everything I have read says to let them bark for about 10 seconds, like Goob said. Then tell them "thank you" and then "quiet" and treat them for doing it. Of course, in the beginning they don't know what quiet means, so you have to trick them somehow. They can't bark when eating - so maybe say "quiet" and hold out a treat. They shut up and stare at you. Give them the treat.

Jamiya