1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My dogs and a problem (please help)

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by DMikeM, Mar 22, 2005.

1. DMikeM

DMikeM New Member

No except they did say the SC was fine for PEN and they actually prefer it, but recommended that I switch to oral Amoxacillin as most infections including Staff are resistant to Penicillin now and Orally given Amox is better suited for the aid in all types of infection. Had the feed stores carried Fish-Flex (Cephalaxin) I would have gone that route as it is even more preffered than the Amox.

2. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

Staph and other bacteria has become resistant to penicillin and other drugs due to people self medicating, medicating when not needed and not finishing a medication...i.e having antibiotics "left over" and using it to treat a possible infection.

Sorry...just my personal soap box.

3. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Your right (coppersmom) mostly we use Cephelexin for bite wounds.
    And Im not trying to cause problems for the feed stores but we have had to clean out some pretty nasty old abscesses, especially in cats where the owners have used things like 'fish-icillin' without going to a vet. It seems that it is enough to make the abscesses go down for a week or 2 but they dont go away and flare up again, when they come back they are usually a lot worse than they were originally, more infected area internally, in general the pets are a lot sicker and in the long run will more than likely be more costly.

4. pwilso03

pwilso03 New Member

about using saline for cuts....

absolutely adorable dogs! i'm afraid to show my boyfriend their pics because he will want to get one! i'm just writing in response to the idea of using saline...i admit that i don't know a lot about vet medicine, but i am in med school. i just wanted to clarify that the reason that a vet would want to recommend saline is just to clean the wound.. it's going to be about as effective as normal soap and water. it will not, however, kill bacteria (like someone said it would do....) you do need an antibiotic for that. saline will help prevent the wound from getting infected by keeping it clean, but once infected, it won't do too much. how are the wounds doing now? i hope much better :)
    -piper

5. DMikeM

DMikeM New Member

Thanks, they are a bit special.
    I don't know if you could ever find anything like these 2 anywhere. I owned the whole lot. Mother, Father (Duncan) and the pups. Both mother and father have now been fixed, and Dowser will be fixed as soon as I can make the finances.

On Dowser the saline would do no good as he had 4 small punctures on his leg. The chest wound never did get infected. Right now everything seems to be fine for both dogs but Dowser is still on watch and if his leg flares up again as DeLaUK has mentioned he will be visiting the vet.

I took some more pics this weekend and will try to find a good place to host them if my site gets full. Otherwise I will up them there and then link to here.