1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

MY FISH IS SICK HELP ASAP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by lyssa5195, Jul 29, 2008.

1. lyssa5195

lyssa5195 New Member

I have some fish questions. Yesterday, we got two scout fish, a Zebra Danio and a Guppie. The Zebra Danio seems fine, but the Guppie has been hanging out at the top of the tank a lot and swimming in place. This morning I when I fed them, the fish swam to get a little bit of food and then went back to the top of the tank. I tested the water, and the nitrite was a little bit above zero so I put the nitrite down stuff into the tank. During the day, for a period of time the fish was swimming around. When I got back home today it was at the top of the tank again. I fed it and it ate the food. It swam a little and then went back to the top. Then I tested the water again and the nitrite wasn't completely at zero, so I put some more nitrite down in. My fish is still hanging out in the same place at the top of the tank while the other fish seems fine. What is wrong? I think it may be dropsy. Doesn't appear to be paticularly bloated though.

2. lyssa5195

lyssa5195 New Member

Please help!

3. lyssa5195

lyssa5195 New Member

Please help!

4. lyssa5195

lyssa5195 New Member

well...miso died. Nobody answered so i still don't know what's wrong. I hope that whatever it is will not affect the other fish in my tank.

5. lyssa5195

lyssa5195 New Member

Please help!

6. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

sorry your fish died, unfortunitly people here on the fish topics just read and don't reply. I ran into the same situation wanted help got none.
    The only thing I can think of would be that the tank was not estabolished enough yet. How long was it going without fish, how big is it? I've never had guppies just African cichlids.

7. lyssa5195

lyssa5195 New Member

okay. well its a twenty gallon tank and we cycled it for a week and a half before putting the fish in. It is so wierd though, because our zebra danio is fine.

8. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

to my knowledge Dano's are pretty hardy..... I've had tanks for my whole life and I have always cycled my tanks for at least 3 weeks prior to putting fish in. I usually feed it a couple of times to get the ecological filter going and do a 1/4 water change then another week then fish but only a few at a time. If you don't have the "biological filter" established the tank will not support fish well if at all. Having good nitrates are just as important as nitrites. Would suggest cycling longer and try again

9. lyssa5195

lyssa5195 New Member

alright. well the Dano is still doing well. it has been about 2 1/2 weeks and am going tomorrow to get a few more fish