1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

my flowerhorns might be breeding...

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by grnlemonade, Sep 2, 2004.

1. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

hey, just thoguht i would post that my female just laid eggs and i am going to lift up the divider in hopes the male will fertilize them...ill keep you updated on how it goes... :eek:

2. tina1

tina1 New Member

:eek: Congrats! Post pics :eek:

3. vrion

vrion New Member

wow this is great!

btw, wont you think the male wont eat the eggs or the female might hurt the male upon removing the divider?

I read a write up saying that the breader interchanged the male and female tank.... what do you think ? :)

4. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Hope it doesn't and up a one big scrap.

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

With large cichlids like that they generally form pairs (rather than just breed with what ever male or female comes along). So if they haven't been able to interact they may not have paired off and it's likely there will be aggression. You can go ahead and try it, just be prepared to separate them.

-Chell

6. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

i have been talking to a few ppl that have bred them before, and they said right now it is probably best to still keep them seperated jsut incase....the eggs may still be fertilized through the divider....they said if any are fertile, they should hatch in 3 days.

7. vrion

vrion New Member

would it be helpful if a plastic net divider be placed instead of a glass?

Or is it possible to exchange their part of the tank at this stage?

Im very much interested since my neighbor will give me an egg-laying female since she has no male FH and no tank to breed... I'll try breeding for the first time by next week... (any tips will help :wink: )

thanks

8. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

what do u mean by a platic net divider? i just made my own divider out of an acrylic sheet, then drikk holes all around it so water cant cirrculate throughout....i personally am not going to switch the male and female to eachothers side b/c he male is prob. going to eat the eggs since he wasnt with her when she was laying them....what kind of flowerhorn do you have/will be getting?

9. vrion

vrion New Member

its a plastic net from local hardware customize as divider... hmmnn acrylic sounds interesting.. i've read that if we allow enouhg pairing time.. the male wont eat the eggs.. though Im not sure if it's true... if you have time now, maybe we can meet at yahoo messenger (ID:aoaverion)to exchange notes and maybe pics of the net im referring to.. :D

10. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

sorry i dont ahve yahoo i have aim....my aim name is grnlemonade or you can email me the pics

11. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

if its a net though, dont count on it working....when i net my flowerhorns and take thm out for only a few seconds, they bite holes throughout the net, so i would say that ur nets would be shredded within few minutes if they really want to fight with eachother.