1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My Goldfish Has Lost His Tail Fin!!!! Not Fin Rot!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Kirk, Feb 4, 2005.

?

Will Pepe (The Goldfish) make it?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kirk

Kirk New Member

It has absolutely no tail! It is quite comical how it is swimming which is barely at all. I have put the fish in its own tank. It is not my fish but my younger sisters, and her first. She is really attached to this fish and i dont want to lose it.

2. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

Yes.

They often lose fins ( o.k. not that often).
    The fish will probubly grow it back.
    Pm me a picture and I will be able to tell.

Hope it gets better soon!!!!!!!!
    :wink:

Oh yea do you know how it lost its tail?

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

How do you know it's not fin rot?

What size tank was it in and what size tank is it in now? What other fish where with it? What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte (actual numbers please)?

-Chelle

4. dude412

dude412 New Member

i bough 2 feeder guppis one of them has no tail at all and ive had him for a long time more than a year so anything is possible

5. Kirk

Kirk New Member

Oh my friend told me it wasnt fin rot because the whole tail was gone and not just small portions. I am not sure of the amonia and the nitrates but i changed the water yesterday and isolated him in a hospital tank. It may be fin rot but I was told it wasnt. I dont know how to post pistures on here but I have a digital camera.

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Severe enough fin rot can deteriorate the whole tail.

To post pics, you first need them hosted online somewhere (Photobucket is free). Then just use the IMG button and insert the url of the pic.

-Chelle

7. Ellie

Ellie New Member

i dont no how my fish lots its tail!

8. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

um ok? do u have any symptoms or whatever that could help us on your fish?

9. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

How big is the tank?

What other fish are in it?

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte?

How often do you clean the tank?

How big are your water changes?

What filter do you have?

Without those answers, we can't even begin to start figuring out what's going on.

-Chelle

10. Kirk

Kirk New Member

My sister is the user "Ellie" so if you have any questions on the fish ask her, I think it is doing fine, I put it in a larger tank which is heated. I know this is bad but i think it is much better than what she had it in. She had it in a betta bowl. I hope the shock of the warm water will wear off. Goldfish are hardy and if it dies then my other fish (Angels and a couple of passive Blood Parrots) will eat it. It is a twenty-nine gallon tank and i have never done any water readings. Ill try and get a water testing kit ASAP.

11. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

oh, alrite.....i thought she was just some random user who decided to ask her question about her fish also on this thread....sorry about how i replied to you then Ellie.

12. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

If she had it in a bowl, then it probably was a combination of fin rot and ammonia burn. Bowls are completely unsuitable for goldfish. You really should isolate it in its own tank and start treating with an antibiotic like Maracyn-two (you could medicate in the 29, but it would be better if you used a separate tank).

Also, if it dies, remove it immediately, don't let your other fish eat it.

And on a side note, your 29 gallon tank is overstocked. Blood parrots need 20 - 30 gallons each. And angels should have 15 -20 gallons each.

-Chelle

13. Ellie

Ellie New Member

I'm hopping Pepe will live and im wondering what will hapen if I leave him in the brothers Tropical Tank. if you know any answers can you please let me know,thanks :wink:

14. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

What type of goldfish is he?

Common/comet (feeder/carnival type) or fancy (round body)?

Your brother's tank is already overstocked so he's eventually going to run into water quality problems. Angels & parrots can also be somewhat aggressive so they may start nipping at him. Depending on the type of goldfish he is, you should get him anywhere from a 20 - 55 gallon tank.

-Chelle

15. Kirk

Kirk New Member

I know my tank is overstocked. The Angels and the Blood Parrots arent big right now. There are also four small tetras of some kind and one silver dollar (small as well). I am getting a fifty-gallon tank with in the month. The goldfish is fancy. It is only small and it is a Wal-Mart fish. I didnt even expect it to last this long. My sister also has an Oranda and a Black Moor.

16. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Are the oranda and black moor also in bowls?

-Chelle

17. Ellie

Ellie New Member

My Goldfish Pepe is just a normal Goldfish but he is multi-coloured with big black eyes. My brother's fish are all in one tropical tank. I have a fish tank with to other golfish and I took out Pepe just in case he would get injured more. Pepe is back in the little Betta tank because he got caught in the filter of the Tropical Tank! Pore little guy. So I'm a bit puzzled what to do with him. my Brother leaves the lid open and the tank is on the floor. He left the tank lid open just in case he what's to die ( you know jump out). Is that a good Idea?

18. Ellie

Ellie New Member

Chelle you think they are in bowls? I wouldn't do that to poor fish I have a fish Tank and thats were I keep them in! Sorry I was a bit excited you thought that I would never Keep my fish in bowls!

19. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I asked if you had them in bowls because Kirk said you had the sick one in a betta bowl.

[/quote]She had it in a betta bowl.

20. Ellie

Ellie New Member

My fish tank is under 10gallons my fish Pepe has Ich he is going to die! thanks for your help Chelle

Thankyou :D