1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My Goldfish Has Lost His Tail Fin!!!! Not Fin Rot!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Kirk, Feb 4, 2005.

?

Will Pepe (The Goldfish) make it?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Okay, first of all, ich isn't fatal if treated early enough. And since you moved Pepe to the 29 gallon, you introduced ich to that tank as well so now you should treat both tanks. You can raise the temperature up to around 86* and add 1 tbsp of aquarium/kosher salt/5 gallons. Or you could use a commercial ich med and follow the instructions on it.

Secondly, you should always have a lid on the tank. You should never let, or encourage a fish to jump out of the tank. Laying on the floor suffocating would be a slow, miserable way to die (and a fish won't purposely commit suicide).

I would put Pepe back in with the other goldfish. If you feel he's going to get picked on, then purchase a divider. A filtered tank is a heck of a lot better than a tiny, unfiltered, unaerated bowl.

Based on what you've told me, it is highly likely that he has fin rot. You need to be treating with an antibiotic like Maracyn Two, Tetracycline, or Kanacyn. And since you also need to be treating ich, I suggest using a combination of Mardel's Maracyn Two and Maracide. That will treat both things withought having bad drug interactions.

Now for your long term issues. 10 gallons is not even close to large enough for 3 goldfish. The fancy kind (which you have) can get around 6" and really need at least 15 - 20 gallons each. If you plan on keeping these fish, you should buy a 55 gallon tank. Otherwise, you should return them to the store becaue they are totally unsuitable for that small of a tank.

And lastly, the root of all your problems is most likely due to poor water quality from overstocking and maybe having them in an uncycled tank. I REALLY need to know what those test results are.

-Chelle

2. Kirk

Kirk New Member

Pepe was in the tank for maybe thirty minutes then I removed him. I was at the pet stroe last night and i was going to get medicine and my Dad then wouldnt let me. He told me that he didnt think that it worked and that it was just a waste of money. He has good reason to think this though, some of my fish contracted ich before. We got medicine immediatly and followed the instructions. The medicine didnt work. We tried other medicines and none worked. The fish died. And also I am not going to spend my money on her two and a half dollar goldfish. It was seven dollars and if she wants it she can get it. I dont think that my other fish will get ich because after I removed Pepe I used these "pill" things that dissolve and treat the water for ammonia and "bacteria". This is what the package said. I wont be going to the store again for a while so i guess i will have to trust my luck.

3. Kirk

Kirk New Member

Ellie is also not telling the truth about me wanting the fish to commit "suicide". The fish cant even swim! I leave the tank open somtimes for short periods of time but i am right next to it. And if you think that im trying to kill the fish, she wanted to flush it today! Honestly its her goldfish. She can take care of the darn thing!

4. Ellie

Ellie New Member

I wanted to flush it because it's in lots of pain and it can barley even breath! It can hardly use is gills he has to use is mouth,plus I was half kidding about that because my brother put Pepe back into my normal tank I think that was was a horrible Idea because wouldn't that make my other fish sick? When I tryed to get Pepe out of the tank he was caught in some plant! So I finnaly got him out and he's back in the Betta Tank. When I went to feed him this morning he was almst dead because he was sitting in one place and hardly breathing.

Thankyou for your help and I want to tell you that I am not a fish murder I love animals and I wouldn't do that ever.

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Never flush a live fish, it doesn't kill them immediately. They die slowly while traveling through the sewer system/septic tank. If you honestly don't think he is going to get better and is really suffering, here's an article about the humane & inhumane methods of euthanasia. Personally, I use decapitation, but a lot of people can't stomach that method.
    http://oscarfish.com/cms_view_article.php?aid=13

There is also a method using clove oil & vodka. I personally have never tried it, but I know a couple people who have and they said the fish seemed to go peacefully w/o any sign of struggle or discomfort. You do, however, have to follow the instructions exactly.
    http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-mos ... a-fish.htm

Also, fin rot itself isn't contageous. However, if your water quality is poor (again, I need those test results), then the other fish could develop it as well. Ich is contageous, but since he was already in both tanks, they both likely have have it anyway and should both be treated for it.

-Chelle

6. Kirk

Kirk New Member

It died earlier today, Ellie didnt seem to sad. Thanks for trying to help!

7. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

sorry for your lost, but the important thing is that both you and your sister tried to help the fish, and also as a bonus found this forum :y_the_best: :lol:

8. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

Im soooo sorry I didnt even ph you soon enof.

I wish I could have helped more.
    I was going to when I noticed it said he had died.

HE lived a short yet fufilling life.May the lord almighty allow him into heaven. He is in a better place with lots of fish.Amen.

Im soooo sorry. I cry when one of my fish dies because I become soooo attatched to it.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :m13: :m13: :m13: :m13: :m13: :cry: :m30: :m30: :m30: :m30: :m30: :m30: :m30: :m30: :m30: :m30: :m30:

9. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I'm very sorry to hear that. :(

-Chelle

10. Ellie

Ellie New Member

It's ok well I'm not that upset. I went to feed him yesterday after school and he was floating on the top,I went to tell my brother and he told me to flush it so I did and now he is gone. I still have 2 fish left and they are healthy as can be,I think im pretty sure. I dont think I have room for a new fish because the fish I have are going to get huge!

Thankyou Chelle for all your help! :) :( :D 8) :wink: