1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

my horse has a head throwing problem

Discussion in 'Horses - all breeds / types' started by horsecrazy_tas, Jul 6, 2005.

1. horsecrazy_tas

horsecrazy_tas New Member

Hi again, I received another horse (standardbred) the other month haven't really started riding him yet due to work and cold weather. This horse is rather quite on the ground but has an unusal problem and I am little concerned to get on him and ride him due to this. I have noticed when he is in the paddock and another horse annoys him, he starts throwing his head around in large circles. The other day I was watching him and he just started doing it for no reason at all that I could see. At first I thought it was a impatient habit, as I noticed it when I went to feed out he would do it. Anyway I am thinking that I am going to have to start from scratch with this horse as well (still working on my pony) and if I can't do anything with him he'll have to be sent away to be re-educated. If anyone has had a horse with this strange habit please let me know as I was wondering if it could be a health problem like teeth or something else. :?

2. Caryn

Caryn New Member

you may have already gotten this problem fixed, but I was just thinking that maybe he had bumped his head somewhere. we had a mare at our place one time, and she had a bump on her head, and we couldn't ride her. a few months later she was at a trainer's place, and she was fine, no trouble. then recently at the sales barn we visit, there was a paint mare there that whenever you touched her halter, she'd throw her head up. probably doesn't like having her head touched, but still, it could have been a result from something. hope you have good luck with your horse! :m25:

3. someday

someday New Member

I wouldn't worry to much about this behavior out in the pasture. Horses often shake their heads around...often at other horses in annoyance or impatience. Another head shaking movement is often displayed by stallions who do so to round up their herd of mares...he may just be communicating with the other horses...so long as it's not done for long periods of time for no apparent reason...which could indicate boredom(this is usually with stalled horses)...I wouldn't be too concerned. If he does it while you are riding..it's another matter entirely.

4. seaecho

seaecho New Member

I know you are talking about a Standardbred, but it almost sounds like you are describing an Arab! Many Arabs will throw their heads around in a circle as you describe. They most often do it when excited about something. He may not even do it when you are riding him. It may be a reaction that has become a habit, and he may only display it around other horses. The only way to find out is to ride him. Good luck.

Randi