1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My Lab

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Brenda, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Brenda

Brenda New Member

Hey you all. I am new to the forum here, but I think I am going to really enjoy it. About one month ago I lost my Black Lab to yellow jacket stings. We were out walking and got attacked by the bees. Hunter had them all over his face. I got stung thirty times or more trying to rescue him. He froze. I had to drag him into the bathtub and washed them down the drain. I then rushed him to the vet. The vet kept him for four hours and we both thought the dog would make it. He died the next day of kidney failure. I have been so sick over this. He was my baby. He was my constant companion. I am sure I am among a group of people here that understand my feelings. I have gone and gotten another pup. He is another Black Lab named Angus. I love him already. I still miss my Hunter every day though. Thanks for listening.

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Hi Brenda and welcome!! I am so sorry to here about your dog, but thank you for bringing the awareness of bee stings out. Did you stumble on a nest?? that worries me because we are alwasy finding wasps nest starting in the eaves of our house, and hubby is always washing them away. You are lucky you werent seriously hurt. well now you another precious bundle. I have a yellow lab named Jake he is a big oaf and my baby.

honeybear

3. MollysMom

MollysMom New Member

So sorry to hear of your loss!
    We lost our 12 1/2 yr old black lab in April. We still have her daughter tho, a 9 yr old yellow. They're such good dogs!

By the way, my real name is Brenda!

4. GinaH

GinaH New Member

I am so very sorry for your loss. It sounds as if your new baby has helped to fill the void. I know how hard it is to lose a pet you love so much I lost my Izzy a few months back.
    I am very glad to meet you and look forward to seeing pictures of your furkid.

P.S
    Welcome to the forum!

5. nern

nern New Member

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new baby.

I am deeply sorry for your loss of Hunter. What a tragedy.
    :cry:

6. Brenda

Brenda New Member

Hunter was barking and that must have stirred up a nest, I don't know. It was the worst day of my life. Most of them went right for his face. I tried to save his life and couldn't. I just feel so bad about the whole thing.

7. Pekemom

Pekemom New Member

My heart really goes out to you, Brenda. Most of us have, sadly, been through the loss of a pet, and I know your new puppy will help ease the pain.

8. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

So sorry to hear about your tragedy. I never thought about bee stings. I am always worried down here about Duke running into a poisonus snake so I only allow him out in wilderness areas in the winter.
    Welcome to the forum. Here is Duke's Dogster page:
    http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=16035

9. Brenda

Brenda New Member

Loved your pictures of Duke and family and friends. Brenda

10. lil96

lil96 New Member

That is so sad, because I am sure you tried so hard to save your baby and then to still lose him, it made me cry. It made me think of my girl, (the movie) I am so sorry. Once Luther was being a little brat and hanging behind a bush not moving just looking at me, so I went over to get him and stepped on a nest (probably why he wasn't coming back to me) and a bunch went up my shorts (I was house sitting for a friend) I was running around the yard without clothes after a minute and I had just started a new job 2 days before and couldn't be late or miss work without getting fired, so I had to drive to work like that. I get to work and put my shorts on and all the ladies feel so sorry for me the immediately start trying to get the stingers out, they got about 15 out, but there were still some where I wouldn'T let them go in my shorts so my boss let me go to the doctor. It is so painful. I feel so bad for you! I hope you enjoy things here. as you can see I like to babble!

11. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Brenda: That is such a tragic thing to happen to Hunter and to you.
    Here in the Arizona Desert you here of people, dogs, horses, and even cows being stung by Africanized Bees. They're not so much in the city, but out in the remote areas the hives are HUGE and you can find them in trees, old out buildings, just about any where. You don't even notice them. Once the hive is stirred up, you can't out run them.

It's nice you have your little Angus now. You will always miss and think about Hunter, and no other dog can replace him. Angus will help you create all new memories that you can put along with Hunter's.

12. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I'm so sorry for your loss! You did everything you could to try to save him, so try not to beat yourself up over it. Hunter knows you loved him and tried, and he is happy now at the Rainbow Bridge waiting for the day when you will be with him again.

Kiss your new baby and tell him all about Hunter.

13. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I'm sorry for the loss of Hunter and I wis you the best with your new pup.

From experience I've found that wasps will build nests pretty much anywhere they can.

When I lived in my old house my dad was cutting the grass in the backyard and stepped in a hole at the side of our fence that just happened to have wasps in it building a nest. At my new house they started to build a nest between the spaces in the brick outside of the house.

At my uncle's house in NJ my cousin was walking along the wood retaining wall and there wasa colony that built a nest inbetween the wood. We had to hose her off pretty quick but she still got stung pretty bad under her clothes. They also started to build a nest under his deck too.

You're really lucky that you weren't allergic to wasp stings because it could have been a much worse situation for you.

I freak out at one wasp sting, I can't imagine having thirty.