1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

my malti-poo puppies hair

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by esgarrett58, Oct 14, 2005.

1. esgarrett58

esgarrett58 New Member

i was wondering if anyone knew if i had to wait for a certain age before i can get my maltipoo puppy's hair trimmed. he is 15 weeks old. when i went and got him groomed, the lady told me i should wait, but really did not give a reason why. he is more long haired than curly. if anyone knows, please reply.

2. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

I've been grooming dogs for over 30 years, and in my opinion you got your puppy groomed at exactly the right age. I prefer to do the first groom between 12 and 16 weeks.

Of course, it's usually not much of a groom. I do a bath, trim nails, do a sanitary trim, brush/comb, and tidy the feet and face. I call it my "Introduction to Grooming." That's usually all a puppy that age can tolerate. But it sets the tone for future grooms, and gives me a chance to identify problems such as the beginings of mats, so they can be taken care of before they result in a complete shavedown. It also gives the puppy a chance to experience most of the aspects of a groom; bath, dryer, clippers, grinder, comb and brush, but without it being a big scarey process.

I don't like to wait until it's necessary to do a major, heavy duty groom. Puppies need to experience grooming as a happy thing.

3. myshihpoo

myshihpoo New Member

My groomer would not take my dog until he was fully vaccinated... if I remember right, I think it was right around 4 months of age. She also required that he had a bordatello vaccination (for kennel cough)... which is not a "required" vaccination usually, but recommended if you plan on ever having your baby in a kennel. Perhaps that was the same reason why your groomer told you to wait (altho an explanation would have been better! LOL) :)