1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My Oranda fish preggers????

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by jiliet, May 4, 2006.

1. jiliet

jiliet New Member

I have had my oranda fish for at least 4-5 months - I also have several other gold fish. For the past week she/he has been laying on the bottom of the tank (actually the same spot all the time). The other gold fish seem to swim around her/him and even lay with her/him (especially when you come up to the tank) - liek protecting her/him. She/He is big, but actually always was. And to me doesn't see like she/he is going to die - she/he looks around. I think she might be preggers due to the way they are all acting.
    Does it seem to anyone that she/he might be preggers or just slowly dying? If she/he is preggers how long until the eggs are hatched?

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I would seriously doubt if she was eggy (goldfish don't technically get pregnant since they lay eggs). If she were full of eggs and getting ready to breed, the males would be chasing her around the tank non-stop. Plus, goldfish don't commonly breed in normal aquarium set ups.

How big is the tank?
    How many fish are in it? What kind? How big are they all?
    What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte?
    Does she look really bloated? Are her scales sticking out? Can you post a pic?
    Has she been pooping normally?
    What food are you feeding?

-Chelle