1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My standardbred wont load on the trailer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Horses - all breeds / types' started by ya_gotta_luv_em, Dec 18, 2004.

1. ya_gotta_luv_em

ya_gotta_luv_em New Member

i have a 15hh 8yo Standardbred mare, who wont go on the float. We used 2 have heaps of trouble getting her on & she soon got better, but the past few times have bn really bad. We have a double horse float that has a short ramp 4 tha horse 2 walk up @ the back. Last nite & this morning she would not go on. These are the things i have tried
    1. I always use a bridle so i have more control otherwise she breaks free & takes off down the road
    2. Patiently waiting 4 her 2 calm down & & walk willingly
    3. coax her with her fav foods-she stops @ the ramp & then goes backwards
    4. have a rope behind her so she cant go backwards
    5. dad tried the whip behind her. i reckon it scared her even more.
    6. lunging her, riding her, & working her really hard b4 hand & wearing her out
    7. giving her this stuff thats ment 2 make horses calm down & relax

Any help would b great. i had plans 2 go riding with all my friends this summer & its not gunna happen if i cant transport her. Im also scared that i will get badly hurt
    ive already got bruises & scratches all over me & my back is really sore from her raming into me all the time. She also rears up over me a lot. Please help!!!!!!!! :( :(

2. Sara

Sara New Member

Sounds like you have a lot more problems than just not loading... She seems to have a behavioral problem all the way around if she rears at you etc... All I can suggest is that you maybe contact a trainer to see if they can give you some tips. There are ways to rig halters with stud chains etc...to get a horse on using their pressure points...but wouldn't do it unless you are experienced with that stuff...

Try some natural horsemanship, John Lyons, Parelli, and Clinton Anderson are some writers of books and trainers you might want to take a look at. They can help you gain your horse's respect thus helping you get her loaded etc...

3. someday

someday New Member

I agree with Sara, this seems to be quite a large behavioral problem...I would definetely contact a trainer. One thing you might want to try if this is only happening when you try to load the trailer is not to push her...just let her be calm, just stand there and get as close to the ramp as you can with her without her getting upset...have some feed with you and coax her forward...as you get to the ramp...crouch down...she should naturally follow you down with her head...stay down and keep coaxing her forward into the trailer..due to the way horse's eyes work..she really can't see the ramp clearly with her head in the air... she can only see distance well...which is great for wide open praries..not so good for loading trailers..but again...don;t try this if you feel she is nervous and may trample you..you may want to have some one else hold her as you do this to make sure you don;t get into trouble...just be sure to allow her to lower her head and check out the ramp.

4. horse_child

horse_child New Member

Hmmmm.... my 1st suggestion is to feed her in the trailer. park your trailer out in her pasture and when oyu feed her put the hay on the ramp, then further inside, further and further until she is all the way in. this will let her know that she can relax in the trailer. that good things can happen in a trailer. possibly find a stock trailer you can borrow and use it, that way she can look out. my 2nd suggestion, like the others, is to get some professional help. if everytime she has reared up and refused to go in, you said ok well i don't really need to go there anyway. that's bull, she's training you, she's learning that the bigger the fight she puts up the more she will scare you and from what i understand that is exactly what is happening. you prolly don't even relise it. my horse trained me and i didn't even relise it until i stepped back and saw how bad he was acting. he just needed a spanking, and that's what your horse needs. not a whip spanking, but a mental spanking. make her think that life is better if she loads quietly and obeys than if she throws a fit. good luck!

5. ya_gotta_luv_em

ya_gotta_luv_em New Member

thanx 4 tha help. i understand where u r cuming from. It makes a heap of sense. We used 2 always borrow a cattle trailer until we got our float. & she was usually fine. I actually suggested using it again 2 my dad, but he cant understand y wen we have a perfectly good float.
    Yes she has heaps of behavioral problems that i am trying hard 2 overcome. Mainly just bucking & bolting which i thing is caused from discomfort from her saddle, so i have changed saddles. She has always bn a very hyperactive horse. I know that i shouldnt give in 2 her & let her get away with not going on the float, but being 15 & having 2 rely on my dad 2 drive, he gives up very quickly, & sais shes just a dumb horse that deserves a good belting. I dont no how i should discipline her. Any suggestions would be great

6. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

I have this problem all the time. First of all, you need to work on her ground manner and respect. Until you get that down to a "T" your not going to get anywhere...

I highly suggest working with a good trainer.

What I can suggest to you now is to start off with just a halter. Make sure it fits properly and not too small or too large. You need to work on general walking, stoping, your space, walking paces and behavioral issues.

THey have a product called an "Easy Leader" its a training rope halter and I have great success with it.

Do NOT even attempt to load her again until she's darn near perfect at walking and had impecable ground manners.

Remember. One bad experiance is all it takes to make them fearful and scared.

Always end on a good positive note.

Do not let her get away with anything!!!

7. horse_child

horse_child New Member

i know where you are coming from. my horse has impecible ground manners but he is nervous in the trailer. my dad is always worried for my safety and doens't want me handling my horse around the trailer. obviously that isn't reasonable. my horse is kinda a 1 person horse, any different distrobution of weight or any different queing will send him over the edge. people don't understand why he works like a dream for me, but horribly for anyone else. my horse just recently had a very bad expirience in the trailer and i'm wondering how it will affect him. sometimes people don't understand how to train a horse, i don't get on mine until he is respecting me, my parents don't understand why i keep him working in the round pen after he stops bucking. i keep him in the roundpen until he latches onto me and chews and lowers his head and keeps his ear on me constantly. good luck and try explaining to your dad what you need and what the problem is.