1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My very bad weekend!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by GinaH, Aug 3, 2004.

1. lil96

lil96 New Member

wow, poor gina, i am mentally sending you some chicken soup and a hug! I hope you get better, you have too many things to take care of to be down for a few days! Just kidding. I have been bitten by a dog before, not that serious though, but I know your pain. Get better soon!

2. puggleowner

puggleowner New Member

Gina- I am so sorry to hear about what happened- I wish you a speedy recovery- and thank God your dog is ok :)

3. vene

vene New Member

Gina, I'm so sorry this had to happen to such a wonderful person. I don't even know you yet tears are flowing down my face as I'm typing this. I was initially shocked when Freddie died but now I'm totally blown away with your news. I'm so angry at your neighbor that I'm fantasizing he should be exiled to a deserted island with nothing but hungry ferocious dogs.

What are the extent of your injuries- what type of had and rib fractures did yous sustain and how long did your doctor say it would take for you to heal? How bad was the nerve and muscle damage to your hand and side? Again I'm so sorry for the awful incidence and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

4. GinaH

GinaH New Member

LOL..That is my fantasy to! :m36:

5. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Gina: How are you feeling today? (Stupid Question) You're freaking sore as heck!! Dog bites are the most painful. I've had a least seven dog bites in my life, the last one did me in.

They didn't put a shunt in my leg for drainage because the leg was totally wrapped. They just sutured it loosely. I had part of my muscle removed and a lot of tissue removed because it was so mangled.

Just be glad the dog didn't get your legs. They're the hardest to heal because of the way your body circulates blood. It was 6 months before it was even closed up and another to learn to walk on it.

It just ticks me off when people don't realize the repercussions of not taking the responsibility of owning a dog seriously.

6. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

OMG!! I'm so sorry, Gina!! I didn't see this post until just now.

I would push for part of the penalty for the dog owner to be restricted from EVER owning ANY dog ever again. Can they do that? If he has others, they should be taken to foster homes. I hope he does jail time. I would also go after the city as well, for failing to enforce the law. I know it's hard to deal with legal issues when you are in such pain, but hopefully your husband will help wade through the muck.

Is there any way you can try to drum up some publicity? I think it would be awesome to show the owner of MULTIPLE pit bulls was attacked by a NON-pit bull. Maybe someone would get the lesson that dogs are not born mean - people MAKE them mean. And any breed can be made into a killer.

I feel sorry for the man's dogs. This one definitely needed to be put down. He will be happier at the bridge.

Are you pursuing counseling for your boys? After all they have been through with you and Freddie, I definitely think some counseling would be a good step. The school should provide it for free, or I would imagine the city should be required to provide free counseling. Perhaps they have something set up for crime victims.

I do hope you start feeling better, and if there is anything any of us can do, please ask! You are not THAT far from me.

I hope Fancy is feeling better as well. I don't know if I could have protected my dogs as well as you protected her. What a good Mommy and pack leader you are! Where were the other dogs? Were they going nuts inside?

Tell your son how proud you are of him and his quick thinking. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

7. GinaH

GinaH New Member

IM really sore and swollen and of course bruised. I really had no idea how bad dog bites can be. And the doctors warned me I would hurt worse a few days afterwards and boy they were not kidding! The first day was cake compared today and yesterday. They have me on some good pain meds so Im feeling alright now.

8. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Thanks Jamiya. I contacted the local newspaper and asked for a reprint of the story so that all the facts would be included. But I haven't heard back from them yet.
    My attorney has filed a restraining order against my neighbor because both he and his wife have been calling on the telephone relentlessly.
    Yes, they have actually visited with our pastor and a children's Christian counselor. They are all three pretty shook up. My oldest son was the only one outside when I and Fancy were attacked he had Pinky on a leash and she was going nuts. Thank God he was able to hold her or it would have made things even worse. My husband has went out and placed no trespassing signs in our yard and beware of dog signs and has written a letter to each neighbor stating if their dog/s were found on our property they would be caught and taken the animal shelter no questions asked.
    My oldest son is now scared of strange dogs and somewhat scared of our own just because of everything that has happened. It makes me so angry! I have always tried to teach my children animal safety and respect and love for animals and now they have this underlying fear because of one idiot who did not contain a dog he knew full well was capable of causing harm.

9. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I just went to training for the animal safety class I am going to teach with Bonnie. It teaches kids things like never bother a dog when eating or sleeping, how to pet them correctly, not to tease them, etc. It also tells them what to do if they are scared or attacked.

Hopefully your son can overcome his fear with time and good experiences with your dogs. I know I would be terrified if I were ever attacked. I have always been afraid of being bitten. Even Nala used to scare me when we first got her, because she would jump up and nip at me and I thought she was being aggressive (she wasn't).

Please talk to your lawyer about the "beware of dog" signs. From what I have heard, you do NOT want to post those. "No trespassing" is okay. From what I have read, the "beware of dog" signs can be used in court to say that you knew your dogs were potentially dangerous, if anything were to ever happen. Your lawyer should be able to advise you about that.

How did this other dog get into your yard?

Oh, and the person who recommended pepper spray - be aware that can backfire. If you use it improperly or the wind blows it back on you (and your dog) you can end up in much worse trouble than if you had never used it at all.

Gina, how did you manage to get the dog off Fancy? I'm so scared I will need to do this someday.

10. vene

vene New Member

Gina I forgot to add:

and very large hungry ferocious cats!

I'm so glad you are going on a much needed vaca. Enjoy!

11. GinaH

GinaH New Member

We have 8 acres of land in the country and the only part that is fenced is the horse pasture. The neighbor just lets all his dogs roam.
    "
    I have never heard that before I will have to enquire about that.
    To be honest I don't know I was just so concerned about Fancy and all I kept thinking about was what had happened to Freddy that my first reaction was to kick the dog and just get Fancy away from him. I know better then to get in the middle of a dog fight but I just felt I had to. Fancy weighs about 80 lbs less then the other dog and he surely would have killed her. We always have a cattle prod around for the sole purpose of breaking up a dog fight if there should ever be one between our dogs. But I didnt think fast enough I just wanted to get Fancy away from that dog. IM so thankful my husband was home.

12. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Gina, just sending good thoughts your way :D :D :D , yo sure need it. As for the beware of dog sign, I wagree with Jimiya, I have heard hte same thing, its okay to put no trespassing signs out, but you can open yourself to liability. YOu should look at suing the city, since they took no action after several instances.

honeybear

13. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Gina: You might need a little counseling for yourself, too. Right now you might not think so, but any time a couple of dogs start to play a little bit loud, or you go to PetsMart or some place where dogs bark at each other, you just might find yourself a little panicky. Even strange dogs coming up to you might make you nervous. It's really a traumatic experience and kind of hard to overcome.

14. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Gina so sorry to hear about your horrible weekend! It is a shame it came to this for something to be done. As the others said please rest and take care of yourself and your little doggie. You will be in my thoughts!

15. StormyWinter

StormyWinter New Member

WOW GinaH, I'm so sorry but I'm glad you and Fancy are doing better. My thoughts are with you both.

The Beware of Dog signs can be used against you in the case anything happens, but NEVER use the ones with the pic of a dog growling that one can be used to say that you know your dogs are dangours. I had talked to the AC in my area before putting up my Beware of dog signs, they told me that as long as your dogs are contained ( in the house or fence) then you are fine. So in other words if the dog or person comes into you fence or house they can't use them in court. If i were you I would think about fencing in around my house.

16. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

[/quote]
    Yes I am on antibiotics and they also gave me a shot of antibiotics and it was being administered in my IV at the hospital. I never knew dog bites were of such high risk of becoming infected until my doctors told me. They left the corners of each wound that was stitched somewhat open so that they would drain. And on my side there is a tiny port catheter like thingy that is supposed to act as a drain of some sorts have you ever heard of that?[/quote]

Yes indeed they do the very same thing for dogs that have been bit badly. I have been thinking of you today.
    In a few towns over in Carson City, the mail carriers are stopping mail service becasue of being attacked by pits and rottys. They end up having to go down a walkway with no way out. so the are going to have one spot for mail. I still can't believe this happened to you. Sweet pretty Gina.

17. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Stormy
    I wish fencing our yard was an option but unfortunately it's not an option. It really makes me angry we moved to the country and bought more land then we actually needed so that we could have privacy and be able to let our dogs supervised off leash in our own yard without all the worries that come along with living in the city. Our house is on a private drive 16 miles from the highway my driveway is nearly a mile long and my closest neighbor is 2 miles away but yet I still have to worry about their pets being on my private property! Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

18. nakoma_star

nakoma_star New Member

GRRR

that is a bunch of bull i hope this guy is punished for what he did he should be attacked by a mob of angery hungery dogs !!! i hope you and fancy are ok ive been attacked by dogs in the past to but i still love dogs to death because i know its the owners fault

!!!!! BEWARE OF DOGS!!!!!!! the signs can also indicate that the dogs are protecting your property so they cant be used against you if this is what they mean!