1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Need advice without bashing please

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by elizavixen, Apr 7, 2004.

1. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

Ok. I have 2 dogs, a 6 yr old female, and a 6 mo old male. Neither are altered. I was planning on getting the puppy neutered in two weeks. But now I have a problem. Samantha came into heat Sunday. The puppy doesn't seem terribly interested in her, at least no more than usual, but I am worried. I do not want any puppies. I could get the puppy neutered this week, but I am going out of town next weekend and worry whether he would be OK. The vet said it takes 2 wks to fully recover. I am going to be boarding him at the vet's office but I don't know if I should do that so soon. I can keep them separated at the moment but it will not be easy. I just don't really know what to do. Should I see if the vet could neuter him this week and assume that he will be OK for boarding? I wasn't expecting Samantha to come into heat this soon.

Also, I just noticed her in heat Sunday so it has been just a few (2 or 3) days. I haven't seen the puppy mounting her but it very well could have happened. Should I be worried about pregnancy?

2. karma

karma New Member

Personally, I would opt for the neutering. Why take chances? Ask the vet if it's ok to neuter and board.

3. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I'd get him neutered now and when I got back get her spayed...but that's me.

4. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

yeah, i just talked to the vet again and am going to get the puppy neutered friday. he said since i'm boarding him there he should be OK. I will be able to keep them apart until then.

5. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

males handle neutering well. you could probably board him anywhere.

6. aurorasky112

aurorasky112 New Member

Two weeks to recover? Our dog was fine after a day without pain pills. I worked at a vet's office for two years, and none of the male dogs we neutered took two weeks to recover! :mrgreen:

7. winnie

winnie New Member

i also heard boys recover quicker then girls...this one dog i know was back at the dog park with the vet ok 3 days later

8. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi i dont mean to sound grahic here but what the vet failed to say was when a male has been nuetered he can still father a litter because there is still semen in his tubes until that dies which can take upto 10days then its really is safer to keep them seperated.

Also like to add this is not the case for all males just some of them.
    Glad you are getting the spayed/and neutered good for you hun.

mike

9. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Hello, Hello, I have a question now. Harley is gettign spayed mid this month. She is 16 months. Why is it harder on females than males? I know it may be harder for her because she is older, but we couldn't have it done until now. Too many doggie and other animal emergencies lately. How long will it take her to fully recover? Any guesses?
    Harley is my first female, so I don't know what to expect afterwards.

Thanks all! :eek:

10. puggleowner

puggleowner New Member

Eliza- sorry off topic but I always feel like I'm talking to Tom Cruise when you post :mrgreen:

11. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

with females the vet has to make an incision and go in and remove the reproductive organs...hysterectomy (sp) so to speak.

with males (this is what my vet does) make a small incision in the scrotum and remove the "innards" (doesn't that sound so horrible) a teeny stitch to close up the incision and viola done. Some vets fully castrate still I think (never had a male dog).

a spay requires more surgery time than a neuter does - so under anesthesia longer. Longer incision more stitches. And with a spay since it's in the ab area there is more soreness just getting up from a laying position there is pulling in the incision area. With a neuter, at least the way my vet does it, the male doesn't even look like they had anything done.

12. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

we aren't? :shock: well that changes everything

13. puggleowner

puggleowner New Member

LOL Mary :lol:

14. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Thanks Mary.

God I lOVE Tom!! 8)

15. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

So then someone tell me something. My terrier mix was probably neutered as early as possibly for a dog. Being that they go thru the scrotum. Is it normal for there not to be and proof of testes at all. My boy has nothing there. Almost like they took the whoe sac. Maybe because he was young and the skin bounced back. Silly question huh.

16. nern

nern New Member

Puttin510: I thought the entire sac was always removed when a dog was neutered. Both males that my mother has had neutered were left sac-less. My neutered male cats still have sacs but I figured they are left there so you can easily tell a male from a female...because its not always so apparent with cats. Maybe it just depends on the vet that does the operation....maybe some remove them and other don't?

17. nern

nern New Member

BTW, Sebastian was'nt neutered until he was 5yrs old and he does'nt have anything left there either.

18. karma

karma New Member

puttin, as far as I know, that's how the males always look- nothing there.

Mary, I never heard of the scrotum being left! Anyone know what this is about???

I've also never seen sacs left on neutered cats, but hey, I ain't see everything yet.

bully, when we had our Jack Russell spayed, we were told to severly limit her activity for at least a week, I believe, and still be careful for another week after that. Of course, being what she is and being the sometimes imperfect beings we are, she ran around too much on one occasion and it pulled the stitches out. Kind of opened the wound up a little again, and we went back to the vet, who said it was no big deal and didn't need re-stitching. She has absolutely no scar there now, thank goodness.

19. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

sacs are left... Zeus doesn't even look like he was neutered and it's been 1.5 years (don't think you want photos LOL)...but I might be able to get him to pose :oops:

20. Shady_Babygurl

Shady_Babygurl New Member

I just recently had 3 dogs altered on the same day. One female Doberman, one male Chihuahua and one Male Pit Bull. Foolish had a set on him before lol I mean um, biggens lol sounds sick doesnt it but not he has a very small sac where his package was at before. Same fo Jack the teacup Chihuahua he has NOTHING there practically because he was real young, but Foolish is 3 yrs. The doberman took longer to recover because she had staples all the way down her tummy. The males didnt have to have stitches removed but the doberman had to have staples removed 2 weeks later. If you dont know for sure if they mated, Id suggest taking her in to get the shot to abort any possible pups, or have her spayed ASAP when you get back. Id opt for the soonest option because alot of people are saddened to think of a litter being killed half way through a pregnancy with a spaying. All my babies except the newest addittion have been altered and believe me the males take it alot easier. Mine were up and bouncing around the next day. Good luck either way!@

Kim