1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

need help with needle nose gar

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by mjknigh, Jul 15, 2006.

1. mjknigh

mjknigh New Member

I recently set up a 20gal fish tank. I'm getting fish in august and wanted to get a needle nose gar. My LFS said that they grow to be 15", I was researching and it said they grow to 12". Which is correct. Also what other fish would work well with a needle nose gar with only a little bit of space left. A red tail shark maybe? I've read those sharks can hold their own against bigger and more aggressive fish.

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

That's most likely a needlefish and not a true gar. They get around 15" - 16" and a 20 gallon would be WAY too small to properly house one.

I'd look at either a much larger tank (something that's at least 48" x 18") or look at some different, more appropriate fish for a 20 gallon.

-Chelle

3. mjknigh

mjknigh New Member

switch to a red tail

Thnx for the help on that. I was thinking no on that then :).

What kind of fish would be good in a tank like that. I would want a fish that eats feeder fish but won't eat all of my other fish.

Does a red tail shark eat feeder fish?

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Why do you want a fish that eats feeders?

Unless you breed your own feeders, you'll just be introducing all kinds of diseases by using store bought ones. And there are very few fish (at least ones commonly kept in the aquarium hobby) that need to eat other fish. For the other fish that will eat them, it's generally not a very good diet.

-Chelle

5. mjknigh

mjknigh New Member

Oh. well i'll take that advice and look into something else then. Thnx a bunch for the help! Good thing I didn't go buy anything yet. Thnx again!

6. gravity

gravity New Member

A predatory fish that you could keep in a 20g tank would be a Leaf fish or a Bush fish. Petsmart sells a Leopard Bush fish as a Spotted Leaf fish, not sure why they screw the name up. I still wouldn't give it feeder fish, but it does eat fish as part of it's diet as it is piscivorous. If you want to feed it live foods, I would recommend breeding your own as opposed to store-bought feeders, which would require a second tank. Either that, or buy some guppies or something that is actually cared for by the LFS rather than the fish in their feeder system.