1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

need sites + information!!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Petz8888, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

O.k.

heres the deal.
    I am getting my Grandma a small tank.
    How many gallons is sutible ( no more than 20) ?
    I want to put tropical fish in( goldfish get too big)
    I know absoloutly nothing about tropical fish!!

Can you post some links and sites about tropical fish?
    I need to know what kinds to get.
    I need top feeders, middle feeders and bottum feeders.
    I need to know what filtration and ariration systems to get.
    I need to know what kind and how many plants to get.
    I need to know how warm to make it.

Anythig else important!!!!!

Thanx!

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

If 20 is the biggest you can go, then get a 20. The larger the tank, the more options you will have, and the easier it will be to maintain.

For filtration, a HOB filter will be fine. Try to get one that does around 200 gph. And as long as you have plenty of surface agitation, then you don't really need any extra aeration. But if you just really want a bubble wall, then a fairly small air pump will be fine. You'll also need a heater if you go for triopical tank. 75 - 100 watts will be sufficient. For tropicals, the temp should be around 78*.

If you're going to have live plants, then you'll likely have to upgrade the lighting on the tank. For a 20 gallon, you'd want at least 40 - 50 watts (that's with fluorescent bulbs).And even then you'd still be limited to low light plants like java ferns, wendtii, and some swords.

Here's some sites to look for fish on (for the most part, I agree with their tank size recomendations)
    http://www.members.tripod.com/~boeing_dude/id118.htm
    http://www.fishinthe.net/html/fishguide/index.php?nt=1
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/cate ... pCatId=864

Look through those sites, come up with a list of fish you're intersted in and we'll help you go over it and pick the ones that would work best in that tank.

You should also cycle the tank before adding fish (it wil increase the liklihood that the fish will survive). I suggest reading this article then doing the fishless cycle once you get the tank set up.
    http://flippersandfins.net/Cycling.htm

-Chelle

3. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

I have a bit of an idea of what plants and fish I want.

O.k.

Here are the plants:

Java fern, wendtii, amazon sword, ell grass, dwarf cryptocoryne, water wisterin, myrisophyllum, cabomba, sagittaria hatars.

Here are the fish:
    Platys, moon fish, guppys,gold guppy, black veil tail guppy, red guppy, lyre tail guppy,marble molly, liberty molly, angel fish, egyptian mouthbreeder,snails, louches, neon tetras.

It will be a 25 gallon tank.I need you guys to narrow this sallection down.
    Good luck! Bonne Chance!!

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Okay. I am by no means a plant expert, but from my own limited experience, I can tall you the java fern, wendtii, and amazon sword should do okay with low light. I've never kept the other plants so I'm not really familiar with them.

For the fish, I'd forget about the snails if you want live plants.
    I also wouldn't get angels because a 25 is really on the small side for them.
    Platies, mollies & guppies will all do okay together, but they will probably breed like crazy. That said, if you don't try to save any of the fry, most will get eaten.
    There's lots of different loaches, so you'll have to be more specific.
    The only moon fish I could find gets 2 feet long so that would be a definite no.
    I've actually never heard of the egyptian mouthbrooder before, but did a little research and didn't find a whole lot. I don't think this will be a very easy to find fish. Plus, I think it might be a bit to aggressive for some of the other fish on your list.
    Neons could work, but I'd be leary of keeping them with long-finned fish like guppies because they can be a little nippy.

-Chelle

5. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

O.k.

The store I go to only has one kind and they are just called loaches.

Egyptian mouthbreeders are well known 'cause they carry there eggs in there
    mouthes without eating them.

I dont mind if the fish breed like crazy.
    I have 4 tanks and 2 are empty.
    I do know how to care for neons.

I also would like some zebra dainos.
    How big do angel fish get??????
    Can I get banana plants???

Oh yea if so that would be all I get in the means of plants.
    Thanx!!!

6. gravity

gravity New Member

There are plenty of fish that are mouthbrooders (release babies from their mouths). Others lay eggs, and others have live birth. There's nothing unusual about any of these as far as the fish world is concerned.

The problem that you'll have with angelfish is that they get TALL as much as they get long. They can sometimes get to be 10 inches tall, and a 25 gallon tank would only give them an inch or two in each direction. A good tank size for them is a 30 gallon tall. Yours is 25 and probably long. Post the dimensions of your tank and we can let you know if that would be ok, but it's not likely. Also, angelfish can be pretty mean, and I'm not sure anyone's grandmother would appreciate mean fish.

Zebra danios are fine for your tank, very easy to care for because they're tough little buggers, and they're very energetic. I have some in my own tank. Almost a perfect choice.

I can't help you with plants, but I >can< tell you that if your store doesn't tell you what type of fish you're buying, DON'T BUY FISH THERE. If you don't know what you're spending money to bring home, then I wouldn't spend the money.

7. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

It is en equil 10 gallon tank. Not sure of the dimensions.

Its very heavy though I know that!!!!

Mouth breeders wont work. They have to eat there young.

Is 27 digrese farenhight o.k.?

I do have a dedline...

I need to know th basics by...

Sunday!!!!!

This Sunday!!!!!!!!!

Ill reserch you post here then I will gather all the information together.

Be back soon!!

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Wait, so is the tank 10 gallons or 25 gallons?

27*C is fine.

Oh, and mouthbrooders don't really eat their young (well, they eventually might, but then so would most fish). They just hold the eggs in their mouth to keep them protected while they develop.

-Chelle

9. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

Yea and they get big@!!!!

Im not getting them!!!
    It is a ten gallon tank.
    Its realy big though!!!
    It acualy might be a 20.
    Im not sure.

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Give me the dimensions in inches and I'll calculate the volume for you.

-Chelle

11. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

Im keepig it a strictly guppy tank. My grandma looooooooves there tails!!!!

I do to of coures!!!

:D :D :D :p :p :p :p :p :p