1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Need Some Grooming Input

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Sara, May 25, 2008.

1. Sara

Sara New Member

So I know that there used to be a groomer that frequented the board here so I figured I'll ask my questions here...

I just brought home a new addition to the family pack and she's a Caucasion Ovtcharka. We picked her up in New Hampshire along with a few others that needed to be placed along the way and here in my own area.

Anyway this gal is about 5 yrs old and she's blowing that winter coat of hers. I'm not sure what grooming stuff I should be doing. Crap all my dogs are naked breeds (well short haired anyway) so I'm a little bit at a loss with this one. Right now I've pretty much only been using one of those undercoat rakes on her. I wasn't sure about using a slicker brush because her hair isn't all that coarse and I don't want to do damage to her coat. Aside from the undercoat rake I also used just a pin brush to grab up any loose hair that was sitting up on top of her coat. Am I doing okay with just that stuff or is there more I could be doing to help get rid of that winter heavy stuff for her.

Below is the description of the breed's coat and a picture of her prior to my bringing her home.

"COAT

The Caucasian Mountain Dog has a double coat consisting of longer, coarse outer guard hairs and dense undercoat made up of soft, fine hair. Coat on the muzzle, forehead, and the front of the legs is short and smooth. Longer coat on the cheeks and the backskull stands away from the body and contributes to the bear-like appearance of this breed. Three types of coat lengths are accepted without preference:

Long coat. The hair of the outer coat is very long, forming a "mane." Extensive feathering on the hind legs gives the appearance of long, silky "pants." The long hairs feathering the tail on all sides makes it look thick and fluffy."

Here is Datvi, my girl:
    [​IMG]

2. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Beautiful gal!!!! What a coat on her wow!!! Sounds like to me your doing a good job I am not a professional groomer but using the rake to get the undercoat is what you need to do.
    IMO.....
    Nice job

3. Sara

Sara New Member

Thanks!

I read up today and I need to get a slicker to get her top coat and I got a de-matting deal today...the blade comb thing. She's got some pretty gnarly ones on her backside that I've gotta get fixed. Soon I hope to post some more recent pictures. She's a GREAT addition to the house!!!! I'm definately pleased with her.

4. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Furminator works great. Just be sure not to do too many strokes in one spot or you'll have a bald dog.

Also washing with dawn dish soap first and blow drying will allow for easy hair removal and debre. One thing to be aware about is their coats provide insulation. Remove too much and the dog can over heat or get to cold.

5. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

where in NH - that's where I'm from

6. Sara

Sara New Member

Chichester is where Datvi came from. Drove all the way from Wyoming to pick her up and bring her all the way back. Along with a few others.

Sara

7. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I have to ask...was she from a NH shelter or from the south?
    I ask cause the shelter near here is always bringing up dogs from the south (Alabama, Indiana, Georgia, etc.) to adopt out before the are put down.
    I would be very upset to think they are bringing dogs from down south if there are dogs in dire need right here in NH that could use the extra help.

8. Sara

Sara New Member

Datvi and the other three Caucasians came directly from a breeder in NH. No shelter or anything like that. It was a complicated situation involving a mutual friend of mine and the breeder's who was shot to death by her husband about a month ago. To make room for the friends' dogs at the breeder's house I helped place four of her own dogs. The dogs of the victim were in dire need of rehabilitation among other things and so I stepped in and helped the breeder out so she could step in and take on the dogs, one Caucasion Ovtcharka and the other was a Central Asian Shepherd. Got some incredible dogs great homes too.

Sara