1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

New Discus how to look after.

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by 3_second_memory, Jan 11, 2005.

1. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

i baught a Discus on Sun, and he is smallish and he is terqwious, sorry, cant spell.

i got a discus buffer and my boss said that would be fine to house the discus in hardy water as the water at work is nt that soft, and use the buffer at the same time, ok, so everything is going fine..........

i was told they like blood worm, so im feeding it that, and these ones were into flake a littl bit, what else can i feed him and what common desease do i need to look out for? etc?
    how long do they live?
    Thank you.

amy. x

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I am by no means an expert on discus, but I do know they are nutorious for being very sensitive to water quality so you have to really keep up with your water changes and the bigger the tank you have them in, the easier that will be to accomplish. They are also social fish so you should keep them in a group which means an even larger tank.

This site appears to have a lot of good info on keeping discus:
    http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/index.shtml

-Chelle

3. 3_second_memory

i only have one. but dont they get on with angels, same family???

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Yes they're in the same family as angels (but so are red devils, oscars, severums, green terrors, african cichilds, etc)

I think the angels might be a little too aggressive to keep with discus. But even if there wasn't any aggression problems, I don't think they would school with angels (ie you can't substitute more discus with angels).

-Chelle

5. 3_second_memory

iv noticed stan does ahve a big of an aggression problem, but he hasnt gone for the discus, its a tad bigger than stan! its a female also, my boss showed me how to sex them! yay! she ate dried daphnia last nite and a bit of dried blood worm, if too many fish invade his space he swims away!
    so i have to put the food right under his nose!

6. Hooben

Hooben New Member

The main thing that kills discus is water hardness. They prefer soft water just like the angel fish. Find out if the place that you bought the discus uses soft water. Many treat their tanks with peat that they add to their cannister filters. It is sold in special bags especially made for aquariums and will cause your water to look dark. Lots of long plants will also help it feel more at home.
    Hope that helps!